• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Coronado Islands ?

Sven

Seglare
Since we are down here in San Diego anyway, maybe we should sail out to the Coronado Islands for a few days ?

As I understand it, we'd be in Mexican waters but would not need to clear customs coming back as long as we don't make contact with another boat ? We can't go ashore, but we can anchor ?

Maybe the TSA security theater would make it too much of a potential hassle ?

Thoughts ?

-Sven

MarkA

Please Contact Admin.
Those are excellent questions, and I'm eager to know the answers.

I bought my boat in San Diego and our first cruise was a quick circumnavigation of the Corondados. We didn't stop, didn't fish, didn't do much of anything but sail. Later, I realized several questions should have crossed my mind before the trip.

I am assuming the Mexican fishing laws apply to all boats in the Coronados. That means if you have a fishing rod on board, even if you never intend to use it, all passengers and crew must have Mexican fishing licenses, and the boat must have it's own fishing permit. I'm not 100 percent certain about this, but you don't want to sail down there without knowing for sure. That would be a very expensive mistake.

Also, there's a slim chance you'll be boarded by the Coast Guard when you re-enter US waters. If you are, I think you'll need passports in your possession.

You may also need Mexican insurance, as your US insurance carrier might not wanna pay for the removal of mexican rocks from your bilge if you drag anchor too far.

I haven't read this site recently, but it might answer many of your questions, and some you haven't considered:

http://www.baja-haha.com/Guide/index.html

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Interesting that you posted that link to the Latitude 38 Baja Ha Ha First Timers page. I just read it yesterday for the first time. Lots of good advice on sailing to Mexico there. I was thinking about posting it in the So Cal section of this site. There is quite a bit to consider if you want to cruise in Mexico. I am determined to sail down there some day!! I also noticed there were no Ericson finisher's in the Baja Ha Ha this year. :esad:

I rented a San Juan 24 back in the early 90's with my Father down in Mission Bay. We got pretty close to those Coronado's on our day sail and I have been curious about them ever since. I would tend to agree with Mark about the fishing licenses and I would also think twice about dropping the hook there unless I had all the proper insurance and documentation aboard.

This is interesting:

In May 1943 the U.S. Navy's USS PC-815, commanded by L. Ron Hubbard, conducted unauthorized gunnery exercises involving the shelling of the Coronado Islands, in the belief they were uninhabited and belonged to the United States. Unfortunately for Hubbard, the islands belonged to Mexico and were occupied by the Mexican Coast Guard. The Mexican government complained and Hubbard was relieved of command.
:egrin:

According to Wikipedia it's the same L. Ron Hubbard of Scientology Fame?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coronado_Islands

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Unauthorized shelling of Coronado Islands and failure to follow orders

The PC-815 traveled to San Diego, which was to become her home port. She arrived there on June 2, and at the end of June was ordered to sea to join an anti-submarine training exercise. The exercise, held on June 28, ended early and Hubbard took the opportunity to order an impromptu gunnery exercise while anchored just off the Mexican territory of South Coronado Island to the south-west of San Diego. The Mexican government sent an official protest to the US Government, as no gunnery operations had been scheduled.

On June 30 a Board of Investigation was convened concerning PC-815 which concluded that Hubbard had disregarded orders, both by conducting gunnery practice and by anchoring in Mexican territorial waters without proper authority. His orders stated that the PC-815 was supposed to return after completing that day's training. Hubbard argued that his crew was inexperienced, it was foggy, and he was tired so he did not return to port as ordered. A month earlier in his after action report concerning the recent fiasco off Cape Lookout, he had described the same men as "experienced" and "highly skilled". Vice Admiral Fletcher, who both chaired the board and read the prior after action report, rated Hubbard "below average" and noted: "Consider this officer lacking in the essential qualities of judgement, leadership and cooperation. He acts without forethought as to probable results. He is believed to have been sincere in his efforts to make his ship efficient and ready. Not considered qualified for command or promotion at this time. Recommend duty on a large vessel where he can be properly supervised". Hubbard was relieved of command effective July 7, 1943.

Last edited:

MarkA

Please Contact Admin.
Wow. Leave it to L. Ron Hubbard to friggin' ATTACK AND INVADE MEXICO!!!! I love it.

Are you reading this, Tom Cruise and Vinnie Barbarino?

CaptDan

Member III
Wow. Leave it to L. Ron Hubbard to friggin' ATTACK AND INVADE MEXICO!!!! I love it.

Are you reading this, Tom Cruise and Vinnie Barbarino?

Look in the encyclopedia under 'Cult' and you'll see LRH's face.
While there, peruse 'Sucker, ' because P.T. Barnum best described bamboozler Hubbard's primary clientele.

'Nuff said.

Capt Dan G>E35II "Kunu"

Sven

Seglare
Well, that didn't work out

The weather reminded us of winter !

With the standing rigging condemned to replacement we didn't want to chance it so we stayed at the dock, hoping each next day would have more hospitable weather. We still had a great time down below and found out where some of the leaks were coming from so we can tackle them.

We will probably drive back down to San Diego in the next few days to head up to Catalina for New Year's celebrations.

-Sven