• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Mark A's Haul Out!

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Mark A's Haul Out!

Hi Mark, Thought I would start a new thread in the So Cal Section for you.

Go to, Mark A's Haul Out!

Question: "I don't want to be too lazy and too far afield of the original topic--but what the hell? Any quick and easy opinions on choice of bottom paint? Also, I'd like to add a boot stripe. And make my dull chalky hull nice and shiny. Thoughts?

Damn, this post does not belong here. I'll redeem myself now by searching the archives for answers to these questions that must have been asked 1000 times around here."

I actually let the yard choose the bottom paint and do the painting. It was actually cheaper for me to do all the prep and let the yard paint it because they will charge you lay days for every day you do your own work. They don't charge lay days for doing your own work on the weekends. I came in on Good Friday last year and they didn't charge me for working on my boat over the three day Holiday weekend.

I did re prime and paint my boot stripe. It's best to use a 2 part paint like Awlgrip or LP (more $'s & work) but I just used one coat Petit primer and two coats Petit Polyurethane. I like Petit better than Interlux, used it on my Dinghy deck and it's lasted for years now. I rolled and tipped it and it came out very nice, like it was sprayed.

http://www.pettitpaint.com/

MarkA

Please Contact Admin.
Thanks for the thread :egrin:

I got a quote from the yard: Free haul out if done before the end of the month, and 20% off paint and materials. She figured it would cost $1,300 for two coats of bottom paint. Adding a boot stripe would be another $1,100.

I'm considering adding a dripless stuffing box; any thoughts?

Also, my rudder has what appear to be a couple small cracks on it's top edge. I don't know if it's cracking and peeling paint, or a breach of the skin. I'm praying the rudder core isn't saturated and rotten. The nice lady on the phone said they can make it all better, regardless of the problem. It's not my nature to wait until I'm a hapless and captive mark before making decisions of this nature, but I foresee being a sitting duck on the hard when they force me to choose between paying them $xx,xxx for a new rudder, or certain death for my family. Where does all the free time go when you really need it?

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Hey Mark,

I still have the old school packing and it's still working for me with little trouble. I have only had to add packing once in 7 years. I have learned how to inspect and maintain it and I am happy with it. I am a firm believer in the old adage, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". Dripless systems are expensive and I believe they mean pulling the shaft. I would try to re pack what you have if you are worried about $.

As far as your rudder goes, since you are hauling out anyway, you will have your answer about the rudder when you do. I can't imagine being able to do repairs to it in the water. If it has visible cracks I don't think it necessarily means it's saturated. You can tell once it's out of the water and feels heavy when you move it from side to side. It may also leak water or drip. Then you would have your answer. The more you can do yourself the more you will save. I think yard labor is about $90. per hour. There are a few posts on this site about rudder repair and re design if you use the search field.

Ask the Yard if they charge you lay days on Holiday's. Christmas or New Years weekends may be a good time to haul out if they don't charge you lay days. That's why I hauled out on a Easter Weekend last year. I had 3 day's to prep the hull, paint the boot stripe and inspect through hulls, clean wax and so on.

You should post your specific questions in the Maintenance & Mechanical section instead of just the So Cal Section. You will get lots of good advice there.

Good Luck

Jeff