• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Obstruction of Marina Access in the West Channel, New Cruise Ship Terminal.

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Obstruction of Marina Access in the West Channel. New Cruise Ship Terminal looks like it will interfere with passage in and out of Cabrillo and Cabrillo Way Marinas.
Port of LA Web Site:
http://www.portoflosangeles.org/

The Port of Los Angeles Environmental Impact Report San Pedro Waterfront Project:
http://www.portoflosangeles.org/EIR/SPWaterfront/DEIR/SP_Waterfront_Readers_Guide.pdf

I know this may not happen for a while but I am a bit concerned about it. This new Terminal is smack dab in the middle of Hurricane Gulch and I will probably not be able to sail into the West Channel as I like. I would think there would be some other alternative.:esad:

Attachments

• SP_Waterfront_Readers_GuideP37.pdf
    79.3 KB · Views: 73
  • SP_Waterfront_Readers_GuideP6.pdf
    108.5 KB · Views: 62

Sven

Seglare
Hi Jeff,

Cabrillo and Cabrillo Way Marinas.

Looking at the PDFs it sure looks like it would be a tight fit ! Wonder if they are planning on traffic separation markers (would make it even tighter) or a free-for-all ?

We are on the waiting list for Cabrillo (put in a good word in the office if you get a chance :) but now I wonder if Cabrillo Way Marina is different ? I assumed it was all under one management ?

-Sven

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Cabrillo Marina

Hi Sven,

That's exciting to hear you are interested in Cabrillo Marina. Yes Cabrillo Way Marina is a completely different company. Cabrillo Way Marina is on the other side of the West Channel, not nearly as nice as Cabrillo. It can be confusing. Cabrillo Marina is part of the California Yacht Marina franchise with Marinas in Chula Vista, Wilmington and King Harbor. One nice thing about the organization is that we have visitor berthing privileges at all their other marinas.

Absolutely, I will put in a good word for you. I have known those folks for over six years now. I am at Berth 33, E-Dock, Slip 33 on Watch Horn Walk St. over by Holiday Harbor. As of just a couple of weeks ago there was a 40' Slip open on my dock. I know this because the Marina let a friend of mine berth his Mac Gregor 22 there for a night.

It would be great to finally meet you and better yet, have you as a neighbor!

See the map:

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 99

Sven

Seglare
It would be great to finally meet you and better yet, have you as a neighbor!

I couldn't agree more ! Especially after trying to meet up at Two Harbors several times.

Do you happen to know Brian Morrison down at Cabrillo ? He's a stinkpotter who is still very nice. I think he was actually the first t suggest we should consider moving.

-Sven

Sven

Seglare
Hit NPR and the LA Times this AM

The vote on the $900,000,000.00 expansion and cruise ship terminals hit the news this AM. I gather they are voting on it today ?

-Sven

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
That's a Roger, Just heard the report on NPR driving to work today. I like most of the plans except the Cruise Ship terminals right in front of our Marina entrance and Cabrillo Beach. I think there will be a lot of opposition from local residents. Saw Channel 7 news truck setting up at the Port Of LA building as well.

Bill Upchurch

Member II
"Obstruction"

Hi Jeff,

The Board of Harbor Commissioners will meet tonight at 6pm, not to vote on the proposed Waterfront Project, but for the Staff to present the proposal to them. The vote will take place sometime in the future, probably on a piece meal basis.
The new cruise ships being built now won't fit under the VT Bridge which is the main reason the Harbor Dept feels the outer harbor terminal is necessary. Otherwise the Pilots would have to back the ships the entire distance.
The entrance to Cabrillo Marina will be approximately 155 yards wide. A floating security barrier will extend 25 yards out from a docked cruise ship. It will be tighter Jeff, but there will still be plenty of room.
I am going to attend the meeting tonight and will let you know tomorrow if anything other than "yelling by the locals" takes place.

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
I think I just might be one of those "yelling locals". Since I single hand most of the time it's going to be real inconvenient for me. As it is now I can sail right up into my fairway before I have to drop the rags in the protected west channel. Now I will be forced to drop the rags right in the middle of hurricane gulch with 22 knots on the nose. No Sir, I don't like it, I don't like it at all. :mad:

Sven

Seglare
Dropping sails in HG, as Jeff says, would be painful for a single hander.

However, I think the show stopper will be that the entrance to Cabrillo will be blocked for however long it takes to get the cruise ship from Angeles Gate to tied up and the same with leaving. There is no way small boats will be allowed near during those maneuvers.

-Sven

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Very true, aren't we supposed to stay 200 yards away from Cruise Ships? That would be impossible when the entrance will only be 155 yards wide.:esad:

Bill Upchurch

Member II
Obstruction

The Harbor Commission approved the San Pedro Waterfront Project last night at a 7 hour meeting attended by 500 people. The approval was conditioned on the Outer Harbor Cruise Terminal being built on the East side of Kaiser Point (Berths 45-47) instead of the West side. That should mitigate most of the access problems to our Marina.

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
The Harbor Commission approved the San Pedro Waterfront Project last night at a 7 hour meeting attended by 500 people. The approval was conditioned on the Outer Harbor Cruise Terminal being built on the East side of Kaiser Point (Berths 45-47) instead of the West side. That should mitigate most of the access problems to our Marina.

That sounds like good news Bill. I look forward to seeing the new plan. The circular I got last month showing the layout did not look good. Gonna check the chart to see.

Thanks for reporting.