• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Christmas Decorations

Bill Upchurch

Member II
I'm thinking about participating in the annual "L.A. HARBOR HOLIDAY AFLOAT PARADE" December 6th in LA's main channel. If anyone has decorated their Boat I would appreciate some tips. Such as: what kind of lights are used--how are they powered and how does one string them over the top of the mast?
Any help would be appreciated since one can tell by the questions, I'm pretty much clueless.

Thanks

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Hey Bill,

Good for you. I have often thought about doing that. It sounds like it's a lot of work though. One thing that I do know it that 12 volt lights can get expensive, and draw a bit of power. A fair amount of the boats in the Parades I have witnessed are running gas generators so they can use conventional 110 lights.

I would imagine that you would have to do a bit of math to figure the voltage draw if you we're going to use a inverter. Of course some place like West Marine may sell 12 volt Christmas lights but I would think it would get kind of pricey for a boat your size. If I we're you I would rent a Honda gas generator (unless you already own one) and use conventional 110 lights.

I don't see why you couldn't just use halyards to get them up the for and aft stays. You could also use flag halyards if you have them.

I will just be a spectator again this year.

Here's a link to 12 Volt X-mas Lights: https://www.environmentallights.com/categories/1004_2357/autoboat-led-christmas-lights

Good Luck!

Jeff
:xmas_grin

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
http://www.christmasships.org/index.html

We watch this every year from the porch of a friend's floating home...
Not evident from the photo section is that there are several sailboats in it.
They go for "tall" displays like christmas tree motifs or lighthouses.

Gas generators and strings of lights on pvc frameworks are the norm. There must be easy availability solid state controllers, considering how many boats have "moving" displays, i.e. lights in sections are auto switched to show two dimensional animation.

Have Fun!

Loren

Last edited:

Bill Upchurch

Member II
Thanks Jeff and Loren for your kind responses. Loren, I looked at the pictures you sent and now I am completely intimidated. I read recently that some of the boats in the Newport Beach California parade have over $50,000.00 worth of lighting and displays. Unbelievable.

Skip Jim

Member II
Bill,

Your boat used to be in the Newport Boat Parade every year that I docked it in Newport(you may not know it was in Newport for several years before I moved to San Diego) I took off the sails and put them on the ground. I then tied strings of lights together with plastic ties in the shape of the sails. Mostly i used the lights that are already strung together in rectangles for wrapping trees, so it doesn't take long to put them together. When they are in the shape of the sails, you raise them up with the halyards and they are ready to go.

I had put lights up to the top of the mast in the shape of a tree, sometimes all green, other times all white. I really liked the sail shapes the best. Then I strung lights on the top life lines with holly.

All of this was powered by a very quite Honda Generator which I put in a box on the bow. the Hondas are very quite, but the box blocked any sound from going aft. just make sure that the front and top is open for fresh air. the first year I used a cheaper Briggs and Straton generator and it was very loud and obnoxious.

We played Christmas music from the stereo with outside speakers and it worked very well.

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Skip Jim

Bill Upchurch

Member II
Jim,

It has been two years since Joe and I bought Golden Girl from you Jim and since we have stayed friendly and communicate with each other frequently I can only conclude that the sale and purchase transaction was fair for all of us. Joe and I sail virtually every weekend and because we keep her close to me, I spend a great deal of time on her. It has changed our life for the good. I still have the Cal 20, but my true love is the Ericson.
Thanks for the great response re Christmas decorations. Bits of Golden Girl's history, such as the Newport Christmas parade, are invaluable to us. Keep em coming.
If we decide to enter the LA Parade I think it would only be fair if you came up to help decorate her. I know you miss her.

Bill

Skip Jim

Member II
Bill,

It has been great to hear about the boat from your postings on this site. I am very happy to know that you are enjoying the boat and this web site. I think this web site helps Ericson owners appreciate boat ownership much more.

Ericson Boats are well designed and well built. I really enjoyed that boat, but just didn't have the time to use her the way I would have liked the last few years I owned her. I love to hear that your family uses the boat every weekend, it is great you are able to have the time to do that.

When I get to the point that I can have some free time again, I would like to buy another boat, and I feel the Ericsons are a great value.

As far as being a fair transaction.... I, of course, would have liked to have gotten more money for the boat, and you I am sure would have liked it to be a little less. Selling that boat for me was difficult in that I wanted to find someone who would appreciate the boat. When I met you I knew you and Joe had decided that you would like to have an Ericson. When we took the sea trial I knew you both appreciated the boat and that was a main concern.

I guess it is like finding a good home for a dog that you can no longer keep. It is more bearable if it is a good fit.

Please feel free to contact me anytime with questions about the boat.

Jim

Mikebat

Member III
I was thinking about LED Rope lights, but it turns out they are rather pricey. But they don't need a generator. A small inverter would run a pretty long rope off the battery with power to spare.

65' RGB LED Rope Light - $329
164' RGB LED Rope Light - $699

• 65' Roll / 164' Roll
  • 3/8" x 3/4" rectangular tubing with 4-Wire Red, Green, and Blue LEDs
  • Brightness of 3500 mcd
  • 1" Bulb Spacing
  • Indoor/Outdoor
  • 110/120 volt
  • Energy Efficient - Only consumes 1.5 watts per foot
  • Cuttable every 39"
  • Maximum operating length of 600'
  • Dimmable
  • Controller included

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
So Bill, did you enter the L.A. HARBOR HOLIDAY AFLOAT PARADE" December 6th? I thought I might have seen you out there. The parade was supposed to start at 6pm in the main channel. We got the Pride of Cucamonga out there at about 6:30 and saw very few boats, so we motored back to Cabrillo Marina at 7:30 and still few boats. So we headed back up the main channel and finally at about 7:50 it started. The Irving and Exy Johnson tall ships leading the fleet. The Cucamonga was un decorated but every light on board was on, including the spreader lights. We jumped into the parade and still got cheers for just showing up. I have never been on the water in a boat parade and I can tell you that's the way to view it. We had a great time. Every one including police and fire boats we're cranking sirens and blowing horns. There we're some very impressively decorated boats. I think I will try to put some real effort in decorating my boat next year. Not sure why it started so late, but I was glad I was on the water and not a spectator waiting on the docks for almost two hours.

Merry Christmas all!:xmas_grin:xmas_mads:xmas_grin:xmas_mads:xmas_grin

Bill Upchurch

Member II
Jeff,

I am sorry to say that I did not decorate Golden Girl nor did I participate in or watch the Parade. None of my family members offered to help decorate, so I just said the heck with it. What a mistake. My wife and I walk in the Marina every night and I was so envious of the decorated boats and so miffed at myself for not doing it that I vowed that next year I would decorate her. Not my wife, but the Boat.
I'm glad you took the "Pride" out and took part.
Bill