• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

What happened in Boothbay?

treilley

Sustaining Partner
I just read that article from another sailing sight. This is the first I have heard about it even though it happened a week ago. I figured I would have at least heard something from some of the guys down at the boatyard.

kevin81

Member II
Here's what I learned from the locals (Boothbay local residents).......

Someone in the area consulted an oceanographer and his research and thoughts are as follows:

Concurrent with the low tide a strong north wind helped "push" the water out of the harbor, enhancing the low tide. The wind then quickly switched to the south, "pushing" the water back towards the harbor, also causing large waves (wind would be then 180 deg of tide direction). The wind data was confirmed by a weather buoy offshore of Boothbay.

Does/can the wind have that effect on tide levels? Yes. In Galveston Bay, there is a minimal tidal change, usually 1'-2'. When a strong cold front moves through, the wind can lower the water level 3'-5' below normal levels.

Steve

Member III
Yikes..

Yikes, I guess you never know.. when the moons and stars line up, anything is possible! :p