• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Ericsons Survive Ike Here In Kemah Texas

gulfcoaster

Member III
:esad:Hurricane Ike blew thru here on 9/13 and the marinas incurred much damage. One 1100 slip marina lost 300 boats. The surge was 11 feet. If it were 3 feet higher, all the marinas would have been destroyed. Thats 5000 slips with boats..All the channel markers in Galveston Bay are gone. Our 32-3 survived w/o a scratch. The rubble was so thick, we could barely see the boat from the entrance..I would like to attach some photos.. Don't know how..They tell us we can expect this every 20 years or so. We were here for Alicia in 83 as well. I wasn't a sailor till 1984.

Attachments

• P1010329[1].JPG
    P1010329[1].JPG
    211.4 KB · Views: 98
  • P1010327[1].jpg
    P1010327[1].jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:

Bolo

Contributing Partner
Tough and lucky

:esad:Hurricane Ike blew thru here on 9/13 and the marinas incurred much damage. One 1100 slip marina lost 300 boats. The surge was 11 feet. If it were 3 feet higher, all the marinas would have been destroyed. Thats 5000 slips with boats..All the channel markers in Galveston Bay are gone. Our 32-3 survived w/o a scratch. The rubble was so thick, we could barely see the boat from the entrance..I would like to attach some photos.. Don't know how..They tell us we can expect this every 20 years or so. We were here for Alicia in 83 as well. I wasn't a sailor till 1984.

Those 32-3's are tough little boats, hey Gulfcoaster?! ;) Seriously, I was amazed at the damage Ike did down there in your neighborhood. I sail in the Chesapeake and live in south central PA. We don't usually get the hurricanes you do but when they come they're bad. Our last big one was Isabel, which sunk about six boats in our little marina at the top of the bay. We were in Havre de Grace then with a Hunter 285 which survived without a scratch even though there was about a 5 to 8 foot surge which is huge for our bay.

We're in Annapolis now with our 32-3 "Vesper" and I guess all we can do is wait and then prepare for the next one to run up the bay like Isabel did. My heart goes out to all of you sailors down south that have to go through storms like that more often then us up north.

Steve

Member III
Another Observation

Just curious, some of the national news-feeds and media photos showed some, not all, -boats still had canvas and sails on. Some headsails shredded etc.. Is this because they couldn't get to their boats in time or perhaps insurance max pay out tactic? Or perhaps with this storm potential one may think it won't matter what I do it's a loss.

How did boats pulled and on the hard fair compared to ones in the water (slips vs moorings)?

Thanks...

Last edited:

gulfcoaster

Member III
Thanks For The Kind Words

Hey Vespar. Ours is a 1987 also #713. Shoal draft head forward to port. The boats here lost some Head sails. We tied down our head sail and main. There are a couple of marinas that have a bit more protection from the wind then most. They suffered mostly head sail damage because they weren't furled tightly. As I said.. The surge on the west side of the bay near Kemah was 11 feet. The northeast side got 20 feet of surge and the docks floated off the pilings and landed 1/4 mile away on grass with the boats still attached. A truly disgusting site.

My opinion is that people who don't get the roller furling down or the main off before a big story just don't seem to know any better. I live on the west coast of Florida and always strip the main off and store it below if it looks like it is going to be bad. Don't have roller furling. But I do have a Bimini. That comes off, too.
Morgan Stinemetz

sleather

Sustaining Member
gulfcoaster, Looks like you weren't alone in Clear Lake, you may even know this boat. E34 "Serenidad"
http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?t=6560

Glad you both made it OK! That leaves ~40 Texas Ericsons unaccounted for, but there seem to be quite a few inland.

I've been following this nasty IKE since it hammered some friends in the TCI's as a cat 4, after 2 rounds w/ Hanna(all within a week). Although Galveston was unlucky in the final course change it could have been worse. The major surge was Bolivar to Sabine Pass. If IKE had passed ~30 miles to the south......:eek:

Set of pics that somes it up. http://www.tpicks.com/pictures people have sent me.html

Lot of chatter and info at http://2coolfishing.com/ttmbforum/

Be safe! Folks that have ventured out are reporting "massive amounts" of debris.

Bolo

Contributing Partner
Praying for all of you!

Hey Vespar. Ours is a 1987 also #713. Shoal draft head forward to port. The boats here lost some Head sails. We tied down our head sail and main. There are a couple of marinas that have a bit more protection from the wind then most. They suffered mostly head sail damage because they weren't furled tightly. As I said.. The surge on the west side of the bay near Kemah was 11 feet. The northeast side got 20 feet of surge and the docks floated off the pilings and landed 1/4 mile away on grass with the boats still attached. A truly disgusting site.

Gulfcoaster,

With our boat being hull number 722 they were almost built side by side! Kissing cousins!!! I've linked into the other photos on this thread and what a site! My heart goes out to all of you down south alone with my prayers. :esad:

gulfcoaster

Member III
Photo Album Of Ike

Hi all. Please access this site to view various marina damage along Galveston Bay. All of these photos are from marinas within a five 5 mile area. The two hardest hit marinas. Houston Yacht Club and Baytown Marina are not in this slideshow. One marina (Waterford) is built in a hole in the ground. They survived the trash but didn't get the wind and all the trash.http://rklowe.zenfolio.com/p219036363/h25db174a#h2f5af6bd.

Steve

Member III
Rip

RIP to those fine boats. Many way out of replacement production. :esad:

Makes me think you can't survive such a storm let alone your boat. I guess you find a soft spot to blow over on and hope for the best or simply motor sail away from the target land fall.... as soon as you can.

You never get fully compensated for your loss, -this will take some inventory off the used market soon and load up the used equipment stores. Perhaps a windfall for folks looking for a few winches, deck fittings, etc. E-bay may be flooded by Xmas.

brentvansickle

E29 in Hitchcock

I had just purchased my E29 six days prior to Ike.
It had one dock line left out of nine when I walked up to it and very little to no damage. There were many other boats less fortunate.
I know my boat is a 1971 but haven't found the HIN yet.
I assume that since the main is numbered 16071 that it is hull number 160. Would that be correct? Thanks for the help.
The Brentster:egrin:

sleather

Sustaining Member

kevin81

Member II
Steve,
No I did not take these. My guess is these were taken sometime later in the day Saturday. The western edge of the eye passed over the Clear Lake area around 2:30 - 3:00 am Saturday - so the first set of pictures (from the boat) were probably taken 12 hours after the eye passed. My guess the water was 4 ft. +/- higher than the pictures shown.

Kevin

kevin81

Member II
Update as of Nov. 1 - Our marina in Seabrook is slowly getting cleared. The picture is of the debris pile near the entrance. The marina has a contractor pick up the junk and move it to an empty area near the entrance to the marina. FEMA contractor then comes and moves the junk/trash offsite.

Kevin

Attachments

• Slowly making progress.JPG
    Slowly making progress.JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 32