• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Slips in SF

Siltbird

Member I
My boat is in LA, and my wife and I are thinking of moving to SF. What is the marina situation up there. Are slips plentiful? Are they expensive? Do a lot of people use moorings?

Thanks

ccorcoran

Member II
As a SoCal transplant, I've discover that things are a bit different in the SF bay area. First, it's a big bay with lots of marinas. Depending upon where you plan to live, there are slips available. The areas you'll want to consider are in the city itself (slips are not as plentiful). Across the bay you have Alameda, Oakland, Berkeley and Richmond. Going north, you've got Sausalito and San Rafael. Going north east, you've got Vallejo, Benicia and Martinez. The latter are only 35 miles from SF proper and less by boat. I'm not aware of too many mooring cans in the bay. The rates should be a pleasant surprise coming from SoCal -- mostly in the $5.25 to $7.50 per foot range. Not only does the bay cover a large area, it provides a great diversity in sailing conditions from calm seas to rough waters and sunny shorlines to rocky passages. Please feel free to send me an e-mail with any questions you might have. I may not have all the answers, however, I've been trying to discover what the bay offers for the last few years. BTW, I think you'll like it up here. Unlike Marina Del Rey, you don't typically sail out into the ocean; here, most sailing seems to be on the bay or up in the delta. Good luck.