• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Planning a coastal trip South summer of '09

ChrisS

Member III
Hello All Southern California Ericson Sailors--

I'm planning to make a six week trip from the SF Bay to Catalina and back next summer, leaving late June. My plan is to put a crew together, harbor hop down to Santa Barbarba, visit the Channel Islands, then meet my wife and two small daughters and head out to Catalina for a couple of weeks or so. I'd start heading back north in early August from Santa Barbara, giving myself a 10 day window to get back to Sausalito. I've read the Fagan crusing book, have a fair amount of coastal experience outside the Gate, and did a charter out of Newport to Avalon a few years back. I know that August and September are better months than June and July--less fog--but I'm a public school teacher and can't get away then.

In terms of a good place to meet the wife and kids, provision and make repairs, and then depart for Catalina, what is a good harbor? Some place to see sights for a couple of days and leave the car for two weeks? I was thinking SB, but are there better options? Also, any favorite places in the islands to visit?

As for anchoring, I have a 22lb Bruce on a roller with 30' of 3/8" chain and 200' of rode, plus a smaller Danforth on the stern with the same amount of chain and line. This setup has worked fine for me in Drakes Bay, but there isn't so much surge there. What has worked for your boats?

Thanks in advance for any insight!

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Anchoring: I use 40' of chain & 300' rode on the bow and 30' chain & 150' rode on the stern. I sail a E-27. Anchored back side of Catalina at Little Harbor where's there is a pretty good surge. Bow never budged, stern dragged side ways as the boat swung during the night. Both 14lb danforths. That's Catalina, Channel Islands may require more attention as well as chain.

Places to go Channel Islands: I have only been to Smuggler's Cove & Little Scorpion Cove on Santa Cruz for over nighters. Smuggler's is good anchoring, 35' of water sandy bottom, Olive grove ashore as well as picnic tables, out houses and BBQ racks. Landing on the beach can be a bit wet and challenging because of the surf, but I have done it. Nice hike over the hill to Little Scorpion. Little Scorpion is deeper anchoring and a rocky bottom. Frenchy's Cove on Anacapa is good anchoring for just a lunch stop. Don't recommend trying to stay over night. No good landings.

Catalina has many pay to stay moorings on the front side. Avalon & Two Harbors of course. Good free anchoring at Ripper's cove. On the back side there are plenty of free safe anchorages in Cat Harbor. Little Harbor is wonderful but only a hand full of boats can fit in there. I guess about five. Little Harbor has reservation camp sites, fresh water and out door showers, Palm tree groves and hiking.

The shortest crossing to Catalina is from LA harbor (4 to 5 hrs). Long beach is a few miles longer. Marina Del Rey is about a 6 hr crossing. Lots of sights to see in both areas. If you want to leave your car farther north, you also have Channel Islands Harbor near Oxnard as well as Venture (Nice Town!) and Santa Barbara.

Hopefully some of the more experienced Channel Island sailors will chime in and let you know more about the windward (Windy Lane) anchorages.

Fagan's advice has been very good for my experiences. I have read his book several times.

Have fun,:egrin:

Beam Winds!

Last edited:

ChrisS

Member III
Thanks for the response

Thanks for sharing your insights. I'm really looking forward to making this trip and seeing the islands as well as some coastal destinations.

ref_123

Member III
Channel Islands

Hi Chris,

we've cruised around Channel Islands quite a bit. On Santa Cruz, I second Smugglers (great snorkeling), but there are also many great places on the North coast worth visiting:

* Pelican harbor - very quet, not much surge, can do a singe anchor. Prisoners is not far away and is a very good place too.
* Fry's harbor - can get busy over the weekend, but otherwise a great sheltered cove; need bow and stern anchors there due to usual catabatic winds overnight (happens in any harbor by the way). Very easy to reach from SB harbor - set a course of 180 and enjoy broad reach all the way in.
* Must see - Painted Cave. Great for kids. Huge sea cave. Can get in there on a dinghy. There are a couple of anchorages nearby. Not too close though, so we opted to leaving one person on a boat to circle around and taking the rest of the crew in there.

Wish we could join you on that trip.

Contact me directly with any questions.

Regards,
Stan