• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Help climbing the mast (1st time)

Mikebat

Member III
I need to climb my mast. I got a bunch of things I need to do aloft, but I've never done this before. The boat has a bosun's chair in a storage locker, never used it, don't know how to do so safely. Is there someone in the San Pedro area who could give me a hand? Jeff?

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
At your service Mike, I just got a nice set of Falls (Block & Tackle) put together. I also have a very good Bosun's Chair.

I recently went up, and tapped the spreaders on my E-27 and a Friend's Catalina 27. We could do it this weekend if you like.

I'll send you a back channel message.

Jeff

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Hi Greg,

Thanks for the offer, I actually prefer to have two guys help with the hoisting. One to do the hoisting and another behind with the end of the line around a dock cleat slowing paying it out. This system works very well. My rig is a 3 to 1 purchase. 4 to 1 would be a easy hoist, but it's more complicated.

We just need to hear back from Mike. It would be great to finally meet you Greg.

Jeff

Glyn Judson

Climbing the mast.

Jeff, Make sure to have a second halyard attached to the D-ring of the chair as a safety back-up. I have actually seen video footage of an unexpected parting of the primary line with the second one saving the guy from falling to the deck or maybe even worse, the small of his back ending up o the boom. Go for it, Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Sounds good Mike. I recommend doing it in the AM before the wind kicks up. Look forward to seeing you again.

Jeff

Mindscape

Member III
Climbing the Mast

Just to make this easier I was able to get a 'winch bit' and use my cordless drill to get up the mast. All the same saftey rules apply, but it sure made the cranking easier! I have a DeWalt 32volt drill and it hauled my fat butt up there useing one of the primary winches. Go slow and watch for wraps, also use a safety line. This set up has made trips up the mast much easier and a lot quicker. A friend of mine has mast steps all the way up, which make this really easy but I can't bring myself to do that to my mast. Anyone have mast steps? Pros? Cons?.

ligolaiva38

Member II
If you want someone else to go up the mast at a very reasonable price you can contact Mike Boman at 607 738-7510. He is a young gentleman from New York and is getting ready to cruise the So. Pacific while living on his boat in Cabrillo Marina. He used to work at the San Pedro West Marine.
I had him do some work on my mast and he did a great job at a real reasonable price---$20.00 an hour.

John Avots
E 381 Laiva

Mikebat

Member III
Thanks for that, John. I just might call him. Jeff's climbing rig wasn't able to get me high enough on the mast to replace the wind instrument on top. If this guy has a top climber, he could probably do it though.

We did manage to replace a bulb in the foredeck light fixture (leading to "How many Ericson owners does it take to change a light bulb" jokes when we were done). Thanks again for the help, Jeff and Greg.

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Sorry the chair didn't work out Mike. I know better now about it's limitations. I am going to research and see if I can add styrrup's to it so I can stand up once I get to the top and reach things like antennas and wind instruments.:esad:

I think the guy that John Avot's recommends would be a lot cheaper than using the rigger I recommended.

Talk soon.

Jeff

MarkA

Please Contact Admin.
Mast monkey needed!

I need to install a masthead wind transducer, an LED bulb in my anchor light, and maybe replace my VHF coax. I have a Top Climber, and used it to install a radar antenna and other stuff around the lower spreaders, but I'm not looking forward to the masthead work. I'm not as fearless and agile as I was at 20, so I'm willing to pay someone to do this for me. Any recommendations? I'm in San Pedro.

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
I need to install a masthead wind transducer, an LED bulb in my anchor light, and maybe replace my VHF coax. I have a Top Climber, and used it to install a radar antenna and other stuff around the lower spreaders, but I'm not looking forward to the masthead work. I'm not as fearless and agile as I was at 20, so I'm willing to pay someone to do this for me. Any recommendations? I'm in San Pedro.

Hi Mark, Although I have done a fair bit of work aloft on my E-27, the set of falls (block & tackle) system I have is only enough to get me to the top of my boat. Even when I am up there at the top, it's not easy for me to reach up higher than my bosun's chair get's me.

If your looking for a experienced pro, check with Seatek Yachting Inc. http://www.seatek.info/home. Ph: (310) 549-1800 Fax: (310) 549-1116 Email: info@seatek.info

I have used them to replace my standing rigging when Peter Vargas was the owner. I'm not sure who's running the show over there now but it's worth the call to get a estimate. Plus, you won't have to worry about liability. Good Luck. -Jeff