• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

New Owner...Hi

west

Member I
Hi,
I wanted to introduce myself. My name is Ron and I am closing the purchase of a 1985 32 MK III Thursday. The boat is in Sausalito, ca. I am a very excited new boat owner. I have sailed when I was young with the family. We owned a 22 foot wooden sail boat that occasionally was on bottom when we went to the slip to sail her. I have been into boating most of my life but this is the first sail boat i have owned. I have sailed recently in Thailand (just rented day sailors a few days) but i am a little nervous about the traffic in the bay. Is anyone here from the bay area? I could use some pointers. I am looking forward to being in the Ericson family. Thanks :egrin:

Rob Hessenius

Inactive Member
Congradulations

Ron~

Congradulations on the purchase of the 32, she will bring you many years of enjoyment. There is tons of material here on ERY.org that will assist you. Remember there are no stupid questions. So feel free to ask away.

CaptDan

Member III
Congrats on your new boat. She's ideally suited to SF Bay conditions.

There are several factors that make sailing the Bay challenging and fun:

1. Currents
2. Commercial traffic
3. Strong Breezes

Your best friend is the tidebook; before venturing out on a sail, study the currents' speed and direction. The famous summertime 'chop' is a result of strong ebbs combined with stiff westerly breezes - especially through the 'slot.' Knowing what the currents are doing will help you navigate the heavier traffic as well.

There are two main shipping lanes on the north/south parts of the Bay, eastward of Mile Rock, leading all the way up through the Carquinez Straits. These are the deep channel lanes navigated by freighters and tugs. THEY have the right of way, so transit those lanes with caution. If in doubt, use the VTS Channel 14 and ask the operator for an 'Update Golden Gate.' They'll tell you what's going in and coming out at any time of day.

Afternoon summer breezes are normally in the 22-30 knot range. Reef early and often, or set out early in the day and plan to return before 14:00 if you're seeking a more relaxed sail.

Watch out for ferry traffic on the north shore of the City Front, from Fort Mason to the Ferry Building. There are several high speed ferries servicing the East Bay and they ramp up to cruising speed rather quickly. Give 'em a wide berth.

And finally, watch out for the 'D.Bs' (Dumb Boaters). They normally pilot 'stinkpots,' and often don't know the Rules of the Road. Give them a wide berth too.

That said, the Bay is one of the best places to sail in the world. I often miss it, Sausalito, and the challenges of cruising those waters. You're going to love it too.

Have fun. Stay safe.

Capt Dan G>E35II "Kunu"

ChrisS

Member III
Capt Dan makes some great points, and I can't emphasize the need to watch currents relative to wind direction. On a typical summer day when a strong westerly is blowing, the ebb current will make conditions really uncomfortable.

Latitude 38 ran an overview of day sailing on the Bay in the May issue that is full of good information. One of the great things about the Bay is the variety of conditions. Weekend before last I sailed a full day, and had conditons that ranged from five knots of wind and 85 degree temps to a wild afternoon ride through the Slot in 25 knots and quarter mile visibility--plus everything in between.

Where do you keep your boat? I'm over in Clipper, Basin Four.

exoduse35

Sustaining Member
welcome, the bay is great fun and not as crowded as you might think, there are many great places to sail where you will be the only one for miles. That said I forget the rules of the road and fall back to just one stay out of it's way... that way i never need to get into a pissing match with an idiot. have fun post often and don't be a stranger the guys on this site are all friendly and helpful whether it is a crew for the day or learning what that strange widget is there are always more than a few on here to fill the need. Edd:egrin:

west

Member I
great posts

I inrend to take it easy at first. I also want to fix up my boat. The owner was really fixing her up to cruse byt health and family problems got in the way. He has many extras for the boat, a Monitor Windvain, tons of sails including a gennaker, a storm sail an extra main & head sail. Just a ton of good stull. I appreciate the help from you guys and I'm looking foward to meeting you some day. Thanks again. You guys are kind.