• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Another reason why I'm lucky to be a sailor.

Bud H.

Member II
Last fall my wife and Commander was diagnosed with a life threatening brain tumor. We were lucky and we found the guy we needed in Dr. Ellenbogan at Harbor View Hospital in Seattle and after a six hour surgery and four weeks at Harbor View and another three weeks at the University of Washington Medical Center for rehab Helen is doing as well if not better then could ever be expected. She still has some challenges with balance and strength but she’s getting better every day.
All this spring I’ve been wondering how to get her aboard Queenie which she loves so much. I was out at the marina contemplating how I was going to get her aboard when one of our friends (Steve, a power boater) came up to me and said “don’t worry about it, I’ll have some steps for you next week.”.
The pictures show Helen on the steps that Steve made for us. I was a little worried that Dwight the guy who owns the marina might nix the steps because they take the whole finger pier. Peterson the guy next to me won’t be able to get down the starboard side of his boat very easily but ya know Dwight just said Peterson won’t mind and if he does I’ll move you into my slip.
Isn’t that just the way with boat people? What can I do to help you? I know we have been blessed and continue to be from everyone we have met in the boat world.

Attachments

• DSCF0617 (Small) (2).JPG
    DSCF0617 (Small) (2).JPG
    39.1 KB · Views: 130

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Best wishes for continued recovery.
Thanks for such a nice testimonial, too.
Isn't there an old saying something like: "No man is poor who has friends"?

Enjoy your boat, and continue to live every day.

Best,
Loren
:egrin:

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
I'm glad things are better for her - and I hope things will continue to improve for all of you. Boat people are indeed a funny group - very kind, very open.

Best wishes to you and your family,
//sse

ps: I bet you're glad you decided not sell Queenie now, eh? :egrin:

rbonilla

"don't tread on me" member XVXIIIII
that's cool....i'll bet she likes being on the boat...my little bro is a quad in a chair from an auto accident...we ( me & a bunch of friends ) just man handled him one day from his chair on to the ericson 28 for a afternoon of newport cali sailing and putting around.....he "ate it up".....and it really made his week....it was a blast for us as well..... peace ......

:clap:

Last fall my wife and Commander was diagnosed with a life threatening brain tumor. We were lucky and we found the guy we needed in Dr. Ellenbogan at Harbor View Hospital in Seattle and after a six hour surgery and four weeks at Harbor View and another three weeks at the University of Washington Medical Center for rehab Helen is doing as well if not better then could ever be expected. She still has some challenges with balance and strength but she’s getting better every day.
All this spring I’ve been wondering how to get her aboard Queenie which she loves so much. I was out at the marina contemplating how I was going to get her aboard when one of our friends (Steve, a power boater) came up to me and said “don’t worry about it, I’ll have some steps for you next week.”.
The pictures show Helen on the steps that Steve made for us. I was a little worried that Dwight the guy who owns the marina might nix the steps because they take the whole finger pier. Peterson the guy next to me won’t be able to get down the starboard side of his boat very easily but ya know Dwight just said Peterson won’t mind and if he does I’ll move you into my slip.
Isn’t that just the way with boat people? What can I do to help you? I know we have been blessed and continue to be from everyone we have met in the boat world.

Bolo

Contributing Partner
Sailing kept me focused

Bud,

Great story and so glad to hear that Helen is coming along. Sailing, or more accurately, just the thought of sailing helped me get through an illness. Last fall I was diagnosed with tonsil cancer!! WHAT?! I've never even heard of that kind of cancer and was told that it is fairly rare. To make a very long story short I had surgery to remove both tonsils (only one had cancer) and about 30 or so lymph nodes in my neck. After I recovered from that I had chemo and radiation treatments at the same time because some cancer had been found in just a few lymph nodes. Anyone who has gone through or had these sort of treatments know that it can be a challenge. Through the worst of it my wife was a big help to me but to keep my spirits up I kept running sailing trips, on the Chesapeake Bay, through my head. Or just hoping and praying that I would again be able to sail. In other words sailing kept me focus on getting better and it worked, along with the efforts of my doctors the prayers said for me by family and friends.

Today I'm in great shape. The cancer is gone (keeping my fingers crossed) and I'm back to my "normal" weight (after loosing about 45 pounds) and strength. There are and will always be some permanent effects from the treatments but they are small compared to the fact that I will be sailing this season. Tell you wife to keep her spirits up! Things will get better and keep her sailing!! :egrin: