• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Winter weekend on Santa Cruz Island

saildad

Member II
Hello all Vikings
I just had to share some shots of On Porpoise out at yellow banks anchorage on Santa Cruz Island. The week preceding this weekend we knew thaht we had a good weather window for an overnighter at the island. What we werent prepared for was just how nice it was going to be. A very nice motor across then a brisk motor sail back in a building 10-15 knot breeze. I say motor sail because my damn upper furling bearing decided to seize up preventing the headsail from deploying:esad: I believe its been the inactivity that freezes up and thus I need to get down there and unfurl the sail every other week during the winter months...or replace it..stay tuned I will be addressing this as soon as this nasty winter storm passes through.
Capt Bill
On Porpoise
74 E35

Attachments

• 2008-01 sailing yellowbanks 037.jpg
    2008-01 sailing yellowbanks 037.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 60

saildad

Member II
more Santa Cruz Island pics

Had to include the shot of my good friends power boat. what a beautiful way to spend a winter weekend!
Capt Bill

Attachments

• 2008-01 sailing yellowbanks 040.jpg
    2008-01 sailing yellowbanks 040.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 83
  • larrysboat1.jpg
    larrysboat1.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 70
  • larrysboat2.jpg
    larrysboat2.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 63

Ericson27

Nice pics

Thanks for sharing

Looks like fun

Not so nice in Dana Point right now, nasty winter storm is right. :egrin:

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
Bill,

Nice Pics! I see you had your boom swung out to starboard. Is that because you had a flopper stopper deployed from the end of the boom, or were you just making more headroom in the cockpit?

I have used a flopper stopper out there a couple of times, but with a poor outcome. It made my boat swing on its anchor!

saildad

Member II
Bill,

Nice Pics! I see you had your boom swung out to starboard. Is that because you had a flopper stopper deployed from the end of the boom, or were you just making more headroom in the cockpit?

I have used a flopper stopper out there a couple of times, but with a poor outcome. It made my boat swing on its anchor!

Yes Kieth that is how I rig the flopper stopper. When I get my spinnaker gear rigged back up I may use the spin pole so it will actually swing out even further.
I use the cal trans cone/chinaman hat type flopper stopper with a 5 pound mushroom anchor on the very bottom. I have used this arrangement for years with great results.A friend is going to let me have his flat style flopper stopper when he sells his boat so I will definately have a comparison.
I have never really had any adverse effects caused by the stoppers. Although I did have one gnarly anchorage when I was leaving the anchorage I actually pulled the stoppers and started dragging anchor. good thing the motor was running and we were ready to get right out of there.
BILL