• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Gulf Coast Marina

Jerry

Inactive Member
Sailing here in Illinois is real poor this time of year -- so ----- my brother and I are making plans to tow my E25 to the Gulf.

I'm up for suggestions as to where might be a good spot to launch the boat and store my PU/trailer while we're on the water (8 - 10 days). The E25 draws 2' with the board up so most ramps will work.

I don't if we'll be coming back each night, stay out the entire time or hop from place to place. Who knows. The entire Gulf Coast is open for consideration.

Anyway, your suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks, Jerry

gulfcoaster

Member III
Kemah Texas

The Texas coast offers good sailing and nice bay sailing in Galveston Bay. Lots of availability from marinas..etc.etc. We have an Ericson 32 here and enjoy it all year round. If you want warmer weather, Tampa-St. Pete would be great as well.
ED:egrin:

JMCronan

Member II
Texas coast is great. If you want wind Corpus Christi Bay is the place to be. I raced my J80 there for a few years. Winds average in the 20-25 kt range. Because of its placement along the coast and vast area of plowed farmland (best surface for thermal conduction) the winds are always quite strong. The city marina has two boat ramps which were constructed two years ago. There is also a 5 ton hoist.

Check out ccmorf.org, they race every Wednesday and least one weekend a month.

Ray Rhode

Member III
Jerry,

You might want to check out Northwest FL. The Ft Walton Beach/Destin area where we are offers a very large bay with several anchorages and you can sail the ICW to Pensacola.

Ray Rhode
S/V Journey
E35-III, #189

Ray Rhode

Member III
Jerry,

Me again. If you use Google Earth and search for 813 Bayshore, Niceville FL you will see the marina where I keep Journey. Just across the street are a couple of weekly rental houses with plenty of parking. The owner of the marina also owns the houses and would probably throw iin a slip at a nominal cost or even free. Just south of the fuel terminal is a public boat ramp which was recently rebuilt and is very good. If you want to check out the marina go to www.nicevilleyc.org. We have two web cams and weather info available as well as other information.

Ray

TwistedLogic

Member II
We all have to push our own harbors! Check out Venice, Florida. Nice ramps, beautiful city and a free mooring field five minutes from the open gulf with no bridges. Also a yacht club and a few marinas with transient docking. I can also hide your truck and trailer for a week.
:egrin:

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
I think the coast around Apalachicola is very scenic, and relatively unspoiled. The water is clean if you want to swim, the beaches have long stretches with no build up, so wildlife is more plentiful, and there are large protected bays for anchoring and more sheltered sailing.

I am not sure about ramps in that area, but I am sure you could get in at Destin. The NW Florida coast is in general less developed than most of the rest of the country, although that is rapidly changing - it is already unrecogniseable from ten years ago.

As others have said, the winds in corpus Christi are great, but be warned the mosquitoes bite right through clothing there.

Gareth
Freyja E35 #241 1972

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
Parking

Public Storage offers the first month for $1. and a twenty something dollar signup fee with no obligation. you will need two spaces one for the truck and one for the trailer but the price is right.

Should be less than $30.