• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Catalina this week?

MarkA

Please Contact Admin.
Didn't make it out for New Years because the crew came down with colds. But we went out this weekend, and virtually had two harbors to our selves. Dropped a couple hoop nets at the mooring, and got 10 good sized bugs in about four pulls of the hoops -- one is so big it won't fit in the big lobster boiling pot at home!

MarkA

Please Contact Admin.
Jeff, it wasn't bad.

Saturday it was a little gloomy, but didn't rain until after dark. We motored into the wind with large, but gentle rollers. After returning from the bar that night, it blew hard from the South and the squalls were beating down something fierce. I was waking up from sudden gusts that would knock us over about 5 degrees, and then I would get paranoid in the dark and wait for flashes of lightning. It never came. The rigging sang all night.

Sunday was mostly cloudy, and sprinkled a little. No big deal. That night, it rained pretty steadily, and the chop picked up around midnight. The wind changed to Westerly, and some 3-foot chop would roll around the corner and into the harbor. We were at G6.

Monday morning was sunny and beautiful. The wind wind was fresh from the West, and we were averaging 7.2-7.5 knots with one reef in the main, and genoa furled down to about 100 percent (it's a 135). The chop was probably 5-7 feet on top of a gentle ground swell. Got splashed a few times, but no green water on deck.

It was nice. The forecasts sucked all week, and I would not have gone but a friend from Alaska flew down, and we decided to make it happen. I'm glad we went.

HughHarv

Hugh
California Marinas

Sorry to jump off on a tangent. But looking for information that you might be able to help with. Am considering moving Ericson 39 project to SoCal area, any recommendations on marinas (live aboard or not) in the San Diego to Santa Barbara area? Your advice greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
Marinas

Harvey,

Here is a link to a SoCal boating newspaper that lists all the marinas. I can't say anything about live aboard status, except I know it is difficult to find. I am partial to our area for sailing - Oxnard (Channel Islands Harbor) or Ventura. We have consistently good winds and great destinations to sail to in the Northern Channel Islands. They are the least visited national park in America. Good Luck.:egrin:

http://www.thelog.com/Marinas/Marinas.aspx

P.S. We are in Vintage Marina and it is a very good one.

saildad

Member II
Marinas

Harvey

I have to go with Kieth on this one.
Hold on..... I was going to say a whole bunch of other stuff about our area...yeah but then everyone would think its the place to be :esad:
We wouldn't want those crowded anchorages now would we kieth?:egrin:
Capt Bill
74 E-35
Channel Islands Harbor

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
Harvey

I have to go with Kieth on this one.
Hold on..... I was going to say a whole bunch of other stuff about our area...yeah but then everyone would think its the place to be :esad:
We wouldn't want those crowded anchorages now would we kieth?:egrin:
Capt Bill
74 E-35
Channel Islands Harbor

Bill,

In summertime, the anchorages can get crowded. You are right about that. The rest of the year....not bad! Still room for you, Harvey.