• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Keeping warm and dry in winter sailing

Emerald

So, as I'm squeezing out a last few sails on the Chesapeake, I'm wondering what you all do to keep warm and dry?

I've been layering with traditional materials e.g. cotton and wool, which is great until you get wet. Anyone have a special combo of synthetics they've found works well in the 30's and 40's, or is wool underwear and an oil skin still the way to go? :devil:

sleather

Sustaining Member
Synthetics Rule!

Aside from my favorite sailing and fishing "T"s for summer use I haven't worn cotton undershirts in decades. For "outdoor use" synthetics are the way to go. Wicks away perspiration(yes you sweat when it's cold) and retains insulation value when wet(wool does too, but it's heavy).

Polypropylene is good for underwear. Follow w/ a good 100% wool or nylon fishing shirt, a jacket of "polar fleece"(or similar) a "synthetic" down vest and a Gortex(or similar) windbreaker/parka and you'll be "snug-as-a-bug". For the legs Poly "longees", wool pants(thrift store dress pants are cheap) followed by a pair of zippered wind-pants. A good pair of "sea-boots" and a nice wool stocking cap round out the ensemble.;)

It's all about multiple layers of fabrics that don't retain moisture! I learned all these "tricks" from years on ski-patrol, climbing and hunting, all active sports but very applicable to sailing, where wind and moisture resistance are equally important.

Check out a good "outdoor" outfitter, ski shops or even fishing stores.

Don't forget the PFD, adds a very good layer of insulation AND you aren't going to swim very well w/ all that "stuff" on!;)

I really envy you folks that don't have to worry about their water getting "HARD", ENJOY!:egrin:

You also may want to pick-up a nice pair of neoprene sailing gloves, the wool ones w/o fingertips work, but my circulation's not what it used to be!:(

Last edited:

Kim Schoedel

Member III
My trick is to keep the feet warm. I wear very thin poly socks under a thicker poly sock. Also I have some light weight breathable rain gear that works well over layers. We sail year around. Even though Lake Pend Oreille is in North Idaho, our end of the Lake doesn't freeze over do to the depth of the lake. Just shovel off the snow and go sailing. Yep, people think I am nuts but my wife and I just have to get in our sailing fix. She spends a bit of time in the cabin with the furnace on.

sleather

Sustaining Member
Soft Water?

Kim, I've followed some of your posts on your "unique" situation. Being that far North what are your "minimum" low temps.? Doesn't the water in the marina freeze over from time to time? If so, how thick? :confused:

I had my E23 freeze-in solid(read, walk-on-water) for over three weeks in '94 before a lucky thaw. Over two dozen boats got trapped that year and the "escape-attempts" were interesting to watch(chainsaws & axes). I kept salting down the ice around mine(to keep it soft) and ran the kicker occassionally to keep a "turn-around" open behind the boat. It still took some MAJOR ice-breaking to get'er out!

Kevin Johnston

Member III
RE: Wet gear

I agree with Steve (polypro all the way) and need to also advocate for a quality off-shore jacket and pants. They are expensive (I own Panogonia) but worth every cent. Having neoprone cuffs really reduces that amount of moisture that you get on yourself and really the gear does keep you dry.
KJ

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
I've found a pair of cotton ankle socks under a pair of sealskins neoprene to be very warm and dry for my feet. It's what I use on the rail in cold weather on the race boat, cold water doesn't bother my feet that way.

http://www.sealskinz.com/

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
I've found a pair of cotton ankle socks under a pair of sealskins neoprene to be very warm and dry for my feet. It's what I use on the rail in cold weather on the race boat, cold water doesn't bother my feet that way.

http://www.sealskinz.com/

Sounds nice, but if any moisture got in there, or sweat couldn't get out, and that cotton got wet, you'd lose a lot of heat that way. I think you'd get even more comfort and warmth if you put on some Merino wool ("Smartwool") socks under those neoprene socks. They're just about all I wear anymore.

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
Sounds nice, but if any moisture got in there, or sweat couldn't get out, and that cotton got wet, you'd lose a lot of heat that way. I think you'd get even more comfort and warmth if you put on some Merino wool ("Smartwool") socks under those neoprene socks. They're just about all I wear anymore.

These socks are lined with merino, are breathable, and have a seal around your calf to keep water out--- But I'll get some of the smartwool and try them out underneath. We don't do a lot of really COLD sailing around here, but I'll get some for spring. Sounds like they'd be a better option for when the neoprene gets too hot.
Thanks!
Chris

you all have a good line on good socks?

Kim Schoedel

Member III
Kim, I've followed some of your posts on your "unique" situation. Being that far North what are your "minimum" low temps.? Doesn't the water in the marina freeze over from time to time? If so, how thick? :confused:

Steve, we have been at the marina for 12 yrs now and the water in the slip has never froze over. The temps can get down to sub zero. But the surface temp doesn't get below freezing. A few times over the years there has been some ice on the shore line. I know this doesn't make a lot of sense but it has been explained to me that do to the depth of the lake, and the water "turning over", it doesn't freeze. The deepest part of the lake is about 1200'. In fact, the US Navy has a facility in Bayview where we are at. They do acoustical research with scaled down submarines. The largest sub is 100' long.

Here is the Navy's weather info site http://lpo.dt.navy.mil/ . It makes sense when you see the water temp down deeper. I am sure some guru knows the technical terms for all this.

The only people that pull their boats are the one's that are at our seasonal finger of the docks. This area is closer to shore and shallow, so it can and has froze over. I am glad I don't need to pull ours out every year. And happy that we can sail year around.

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Polypro underwear, fleece layers top and bottom, HH jacket and pants, polypro socks or wool, Gill boots, Carhartt cap. Basically its the same regimen I use for outdoor contractor work except the outer layers are all Carhartt and Dunham boots..... RT

obiwanrazzy

Member II
SmartWool

I have to put in another vote for SmartWool. They're not cheap (wait for the sales), but worth it. I wear them year-round. The small, thinner bicyling ones in the summer and the longer thicker ones in the winter.

Steve Swann

Member III
"cotton kills"

In the extreme cold survival courses I have taken, one of the monikers I have heard many a time is "cotton kills." Meaning, when cotton fabric gets wet, either through perspiration, by weather factors, or by water immersion, all insulative properties of cotton are gone.

Yeah, I use some cotton thingies during the cold spells, too, but just remember that many other fabrics and combinations of materials are far superior to cotton in many instances. Just be smart about the conditions and factors when using cotton products.

Now summertime is a different story....

Steve Swann
E25 Seahorse
Boise, ID