• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Alameda Marina Recommendation

skipper007

Member II
Howdy,
I should be the proud owner of an E32-2 in < 2 weeks. I still don't know if I believe it! I'm very excited.

A friend of mine has his boat at Alameda Marina, and they have a spot for me, but they just jacked the rates up to $7.50/foot/month. It is an ok marina, but not the nicest and no longer a bargain.

Any suggestions? I've got pricing for all of the (main) marinas in Alameda, and they all seem to have availability.

Skip

Blue Chip

Member III
It's Grand

We have been at the Grand Marina for 6 years and love it. Good people in the office, take good care of the docks, easy to get in and out of. The facilities and security are good as well. Ray and the guys that do the repair work are friendly and RESPOND when asked something.
It is a little messy right now with the construction going on, but this too shall pass.

CWM

Chuck
Skipper007:

I have been at Marina Village for 20 years, and it is great.
We have two pump-out facilities (IIRC, Grand has none), and are close to a shopping center. We also have the renown Alan Weaver as harbor master.

The photo shows the view at the gate 8 location, which is where my E27 is located.

If you have any questions or want a tour, let me know.

Attachments

• DSCF5833.jpg
    DSCF5833.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 88

skipper007

Member II
Thanks for the input so far. It seems pump out facilities would be important as I have a brood of girls - My wife and 3 girls - that are all potty trained! I wish any marina in the area had a playground area, but the nice park like setting at marina village does seem to offer some running room. Marina village is one of the more expensive marinas though at $8.50/foot/month. But in the future, I'm considering joining Encinal YC. They have a great (so I've heard) Junior program for kids > 7, but for the wee ones, a swimming pool. Do either of you guys have kids? Seen many in the harbor?
Thanks again,
Skip

Guy Stevens

Grand has a pump out too

Grand Marina has a pump out that is easier to get to by far, than either of the ones at Marina Village. Although a little practice on your boat handeling skills at Marina village would not hurt you occasionally.

I would be at either Grand or Marina Village, we are currently at Grand, and like it well enough. However the greedy owners have turned most of the parking lot into houses, so there is not enough parking here on any given busy weekend.

The marina staff at Grand are some of the nicest that I have ever dealt with, the Marina Village staff is nice too, but the Grand people seem to be a little nicer to me, both are way nicer than 95% of the marina staffs out there.

Nothing is very far from anything here on the island so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

Given the current status of the parking, if I were not living aboard, I would probably swap over to Marina Village.

Balina Bay is a dive and the most expensive on the island. The docks there have been coming apart for years, and since they are an Almar managed marina, there is NO upkeep, or repairs.

I would be happy to ask the marina staff here tomorrow if they have space for you.

There is also a park here at Grand, with a playground that your kids would love. It is between Fortman marina, and Grand Marina, and is quite nice too.

Fortman is not a bad marina, their docks are a little older, and wood, which is not as good as the concrete docks at Grand and Marina Village, but far better than the crumbling concrete docks at Balina Bay. Last time I checked Fortman was a little cheaper.

As far as yacht clubs go, you are on your own, haven't ever been a member of one, and don't see a good reason to become one, as my drinking is very light.

Also feel free to contact me back channel if you have more questions.

Guy
:)

Last edited:

CWM

Chuck
Skipper007:

There are several family boats in MV at gate 8. One in particular is a single father with two darling girls (9 and 11 years) who live aboard and belong to Encinal YC. They love the swimming pool at the yacht club, which is heated.
From what I hear, Encinal YC is the club if you have kids, as they are very family oriented.

IMO, the pump-out at gate 8 should not be difficult for a 32 ft sail boat.
I have done it in a 34 ft sail boat, and have seen a 42 ft sail boat do it with ease. The gate 8 pump-out station is behind the small trees in my photo.

skipper007

Member II
Marina Village in the plan

Although more expensive, MV has won. My wife and I walked around it several years ago, and my partner, who used to live in Alameda, thinks it is probably safest. It also has lots of running & biking room for the bambinos. For now we'll be at gate 9. We would like to move to gate 8 in the future, but we'll have to pay for a 36' slip since there are no 32s on that dock. Someday we will join Encinal so the kids can swim in the summmer.......For now, just start sailing (and repairing) our newest family member....
Thanks again,
Skip

macgyver

Marina Village

Skipper007,
What a coincidence...my buddy and I finished the deal on a 32-2 last night!
My wife visited MV today and I think that she put a hold on a berth in gate 9. I will follow up with the details ASAP regarding the marina registration etc. We just may become neighbors! Good luck on the repairs...
MacGyver:egrin:

svsouthwind

Grand Marina

I have a 35 MKII at Grand Marina in B-30. I've had very good luck with this marina. Facilities are great there and the people are friendly.
Al

skipper007

Member II
Guy - were you commenting on Al's transom at Grand?
MacGyver and I settled into Marina Village last weekend, with a freshly painted transom - so was just wondering.
Guy you do rigging work yes? I might need a one on one regarding my lifelines sometime soon.
Skip