• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Sailing from Channel Islands Harbor to Marina del Rey?

mrbarnard

'72 E-29 in sweet condition
New to the forum.

And, I'm a newbie sailor (sailed a little, many years ago) and last week bought a sailboat, a 1972 Ericson 29. It's in Channel Islands Harbor, and I eventually need to have it in Marina del Rey or Redondo Beach.

I'll have to find someone to help me (and my sons, one of whom has some sailing experience) bring the boat down to L.A.

Since this is all new to me, I wonder if anyone here has made an excursion from Channel Islands to Los Angeles and if you have anything to share about such a trip. I don't even know how to estimate how long it will take (although I guess 5 knots per hour would be a reference point, and the ports are 50 miles apart, so it will take an entire day, over 10 hours, I think).

And if anyone knows of any slips available in either Marina del Rey or Redondo Beach, please let me know (especially if there are any liveaboard slips...).

Thanks.

Attachments

• sailboat.jpg
    sailboat.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 2,250

bigtyme805

Member III
Mr Barnard,

I could go with you if you like. I have made the trip half dozen times very easy trip.

My choice would be Marina Del Rey, but you will have to call some of the marinas and see if they have availability. I think Marina Del Rey has some slips available, I remember seeing something in the Log about that.

I am sure someone on the forum might know that answer.

Call me when you know anything. 805-636-5064

King Harbor is nice also, but don't know availability for slips.

Did you have the rigging and engine looked over before you make this trip?

Length of time will depend on wind, but I am sure we can make Marina Del Rey in 7 hours with 10-15 knots of wind. Coming to Channel Islands from there usually takes me 10-12 hours depending on motoring time and the current.

Meanolddad

Member III
Welcome to the Ericson community
I have also made the trip before and it is an easy one. I did it last solo on a Ranger 22 I was bringing down to race in Marina del Rey. I did it on a pretty light day so took about 10 hours. The trip down was fun, the race not so much.
If you do need crew let me know and I would also enjoy going. Contact me through the website
Enjoy
Greg

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Here is the web link for Port Royal at King Harbor.

Here is the web link for Port Royal at King Harbor. http://www.cymportroyal.com/

It is one of the 4 California Yacht Marinas. I am at Cabrillo Marina in San Pedro. http://www.cymcabrillo.com/

I think you may find a pretty long waiting list in King Harbor. Not sure about Marina Del Rey Marinas though.

Very nice facilities here at Cabrillo. Being located in San Pedro is closer to Catalina (around 2 hrs less crossing) and the rates are much cheaper than Marina Del Rey. Always lots of wind down here too. Good Luck!

windjunkee

Member III
We have our boat at Port Royal. There are two other E-32-2's on our dock. However, slips are impossible to find right any where in King Harbor right now due to the reconstruction, reconfiguration of the Portofino Marina, where they are eliminating scores of smaller slips.

I've done the sail up and down the coast between CI harbor and Santa Monica Bay about 6 times. Its a comfortable downwind ride from there. Enjoy the sail.

Jim McCone
Voice of Reason E-32-2 Hull #134
Redondo Beach, CA

jkm

Member III
Welcome to the forum.

Slips come and go. Mariners Bay has a good turn over. Trick is to call them almost every day.

I'm at Dolphin Marina-they just redid their slips.

You'll find one, just keep calling the dockmasters.

Liveaboards are not too hard to get. Will have to get the slip first, then apply for the liveaboard permit. The other way around you'll never get in.

All dockmasters will tell you they can't give you permission to illegally liveaboard, but few will object if you're subtle.

Good luck.

John

mrbarnard

Thanks

Thank you for the comments. Wow. This is a great forum, you guys/gals are wonderful.

Michael

Glyn Judson

Live aboard slips in Marina del Rey.

Michael, Welcome to the list. John suggests that Dockmasters will look the other way if you attempt to live aboard without permission. Well, that isn't totally true and certainly isn't the case in my anchorage and several others I know of. My Dockmaster is sudden death on what he calls "sneak aboards" and has a seventh sense when it comes to spotting them. He'll usually remind the person(s) once, that they signed a contract that they will not live aboard, otherwise they'd have to pay a 150% higher slip fee and not only that, there are only six live aboards allowed in our 200 slip anchorage. The next time it's celar to him that the person(s) are still flaunting the rules, they're out on their ear. Not only that, others around them soon become resentful, especially the live aboards who are paying the full rate. The rational is that the rest of the renters, live aboard or not, are indirectly and unwillingly subsidizing these "sneak aboards" with their own monthly rents. Some of them might start thinking, "Then why can't I just reduce my monthly rent too"? I think it's not the best call to suggest that one can move in and simply begin to quietly "sneak aboard". Beside all that, the County requires a Sherrif's inspection of the boat, with requisite sticker on the transom to legally live aboard. Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

mrbarnard

Liveaboard

Thanks, Glyn

Yes, I've heard that often during my search. It's a real Catch-22, of course. I am very upfront with the dockmasters about seeking liveaboard, so many of them immediately dismiss me. Sad. I even say I'm looking for a slip and want to waitlist for liveaboard status, but they still dismiss me. Nonetheless, I'm above-board about it all, that's just the way I am, and for reasons you detail.

Not sure how it will turn out, but whatever happens... =}

Michael
E29 Hull 175

Michael, Welcome to the list. John suggests that Dockmasters will look the other way if you attempt to live aboard without permission. Well, that isn't totally true and certainly isn't the case in my anchorage and several others I know of. My Dockmaster is sudden death on what he calls "sneak aboards" and has a seventh sense when it comes to spotting them. He'll usually remind the person(s) once, that they signed a contract that they will not live aboard, otherwise they'd have to pay a 150% higher slip fee and not only that, there are only six live aboards allowed in our 200 slip anchorage. The next time it's celar to him that the person(s) are still flaunting the rules, they're out on their ear. Not only that, others around them soon become resentful, especially the live aboards who are paying the full rate. The rational is that the rest of the renters, live aboard or not, are indirectly and unwillingly subsidizing these "sneak aboards" with their own monthly rents. Some of them might start thinking, "Then why can't I just reduce my monthly rent too"? I think it's not the best call to suggest that one can move in and simply begin to quietly "sneak aboard". Beside all that, the County requires a Sherrif's inspection of the boat, with requisite sticker on the transom to legally live aboard. Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

mrbarnard

the sail to Marina del Rey

Here's the outcome of the sail:

Saturday, November 24, 2007

Prepped "My Freedom," my ’72 Ericson 29, for the sail from current home port in Channel Islands Harbor in Oxnard to her new home in Marina del Rey in Los Angeles, approximately 53 miles (61 nautical miles) away. Anticipated average speed of 5 knots (5.8 MPH) and 10 hours travel time.

She is a beautiful boat and receives many compliments. This was her maiden voyage under my ownership. She was in good condition and previous owners (retiring couple near 70) said they "only took her out to the islands occasionally." My prep chores included testing and pumping out the head, securing everything in the cabin, changing oil in the engine, filling water and fuel tanks, etc.

I have not sailed in over a decade, and at that, my sailing experience was minor.

Don Anderson, experienced sailor who once sailed his Ericson 27 single-handed to Hawaii (a 19 day trip across the Pacific!) is joining me for the sail, offering invaluable assistance and insight. His contributions to the adventure are the only reasons My Freedom is not shattered and at the bottom of the ocean today. We met via an Ericson forum on the Internet. Don is a great, fun guy who once played a couple years with the Colts as a cornerback. He has a beautiful Ericson 30.

As time drew near to depart, I failed to make everything in the cockpit storage locker "shipshape," just throwing canvas, companion way door slats, and lines into the stowage as we were ready to depart. I also had not inspected the anchors (bow and stern) as I had intended. Also, needed to tighten the standing rig but was unable to do so. These shortcomings came back to haunt me later in the trip.

Friday night's NOAA reports warned of severe Santa Ana winds, with several small-craft advisories and Red Flag Alerts with anticipated gusts to 25 kph. By very early Saturday, the NOAA diminished its warnings but kept a small-craft advisory in effect until noon.

We pulled out of Channel Islands Harbor at 9:15 a.m.

Once out of the harbor, we were hit with strong gusts, but managed to sail along quite well under full main sail plus jib. We steadily travelled at between 5.5 kph and 6.5 kph (her hull speed).

It was a clear day, but on the horizon near Point Dume, we saw what we thought was a fog bank. We later realized it was heavy smoke from the Malibu fire.
As we approached Point Dume, winds picked up (as opposed to the small-craft advisories that indicated winds would die down) and we dropped the jib.

Don was piloting, handling the tiller, while I was scrambling on deck to handle lines and sails while the boat was buffeted by the sea. I was amazed to see her handle the buffeting with grace and style. She heeled and tossed without any indication of being nervous. I did, however, discover some flaws in my packing strategy and lost a box of breakfast cereal, crashing and spilling onto the cabin floor. Everything else, however, stayed put.

As we approached Malibu about four hours into the trip, we were suddenly surrounded by leaping dolphins. Hundreds of them, going in all directions, including under My Freedom. Don said it was the most dolphins he's ever seen. It was an amazing and playful sight.

Moving toward Malibu proved to be more troublesome than we anticipated. Instead of winds dying down, they increased and frequently changed directions. It was tough to fight the tiller, which demanded constant attention. Don was on the tiller most of the trip since I lacked the experience to handle the conditions.

Her dodger served us well. The waves and swell frequently crashed over the bow and would have drenched us without a dodger. (The dodger, bimini, trim, and everything else on her is in excellent condition.) The bow, which on an Ericson is quite high, often hit the water, and we heeled often. The trip was becoming more exhilarating than the best rides at Magic Mountain. Through it all, she handled very well.

Then it got worse.

As we ventured further into Santa Monica Bay, the gusts increased and buffeted us severely.

The standing rigging was taking a severe beating because it was not taut. The turnbuckles needed work, and I had not been successful tightening them prior to our launch.

The weather was clear—thankfully there was no rain—but ocean spray wetted the deck. As Don battled the tiller, we decided to reef the main, so I scrambled out onto the wet, bouncing deck to lower the sail by about 4 feet. As I was prepping to lower the sail, Don called out to drop it entirely because winds were gusting up to 50 MPH and would blow the sail. I scrambled to bring it down completely and tie it off, clinging to the boom while the boat twisted and bounced and the ocean sprayed me.

With the sail down, we began motoring. The Atomic 4 is in excellent condition and pushed us along quite well, quite steadily. As winds died and the sun set, the swells tossed us dramatically. Don, who single-handed a 27 foot sailboat to Hawaii, said this was one of the most challenging sailing experiences he's ever faced.

Night fell about 5 p.m. and it was very dark. However, we had anticipated cold, chilly weather but instead, the Santa Anas blew warm air at us. And, as we were across from the Malibu fire, even a few miles out from shore, we felt the heat and smoke from the blaze. By the time we were across from the blaze, the firefighters had successfully contained it. (We had been watching the aircraft make their drops and the helicopters sucking water out of the ocean and swimming pools, and watched as the smoke began to turn from heavy black smoke to thinner gray smoke.)

Suddenly, as we approached Santa Monica pier, weather calmed. Sea flat. Wind died. Dark night. All became smooth. We were within two miles of our destination, Marina del Rey harbor.

Then the engine suddenly died.

That left us adrift near shore in an urban area, with no wind (ironic, after battling some of the worst winds for the past eleven hours) but lots of swell, she was bobbing and twisting, and very, very dark.

We hailed the Coast Guard (I'm very thankful that I had purchased a top-of-the-line VHF radio!) A rescue boat came out. I had been ordered to drop anchor and wait, to prevent crashing into rocks. Having not examined the anchors (I had planned to…) and not organizing the cockpit storage locker, and under stress, this became quite a challenge. I first chose to drop the stern anchor, since it was easier to reach. However, the anchor rode was now buried and entangled in the mess of the cockpit storage locker. When I finally dug out the locker, I discovered the anchor only had a short chain on it, not attached to anything. This meant I had to scramble out to the bow and release that anchor, which, fortunately, I at least knew was attached to about 150 feet of chain and rope. However, someone years earlier had tied the anchor into its holder, using string that was now encrusted and impossible to untie and which I could not see. I was fighting in the dark with this piece of string while the boat bounced dramatically, trying to toss me into the water…and possibly heading into unseen rocks. When I finally ripped the string off, swearing heartily, I threw the anchor into the water, fully aware that I might never see it again, since I had not fully inspected the chain or rope.

Thankfully, everything held and the anchor took the chain and rope to the bottom. Just as the rescue boat arrived. So, the anchor hit bottom and I had to haul it back up. An anchor and 150 feet of chain and rope is very heavy when wet, especially in the dark, under stress, and after a very long day of battling the sea.

She is now in a slip, dirty and messy and sad. I will return to her today and clean her up and try to find out why the engine quit. It stopped suddenly after running smoothly for three hours, so I expect and hope it's a minor problem.

My Freedom handled the challenging seas very well, her performance was excellent.

End of a day of great adventure.

(addendum: I inspected the engine (amazingly clean and well-maintained) and discovered the fuel filter was clogged. Lots of old gas in the tank, apparently. Once I replaced the fuel filter, the Atomic 4 ran great again.)

Glyn Judson

Battling your way to the tranquil Marina del Rey.

Michael, Congratulations to the two of you who apparently did everything needed to save the day. I'd like to share a few thoughts with you regarding the "clogged fuel filter". That is only symptomatic of a potential larger problem, especially with gasoline which separates faster and forms more tar on the bottom of the tank than diesel does (it does also but more slowly). Your Mr. Hare's Wild Ride down the coast awakened the Tank Tar Giant and he soon got to work clogging your filter. Please don't count on a simple filter change to make the problem go away and don't count on being in the right place at the right time to swap filters when/if the present one clogs up, Mr. Murphy doesn't work that way, i.e. within reach of a safe haven when the first one shut down the engine in pitch black darkness in unfamiliar waters, you get the idea. Contact Dwyn Hendricson at 310.823.5648 and consider having him come to your boat to preform kidney dialysis (fuel polishing to the non medical in the audience) to your tank and its contents. His rig consists of primary, secondary and I even think tertiary diatomaceous earth filters that will change a tar-bottomed, amber-colored fuel into something akin to Chardonet by the time he's done with you. Personally I'm a cheap b****rd and only drink Chardon B. Now that those tars are unglued from the bottom, much less of a wash cycle will suspend the particulates, no, chunks in the fuel and it'll off to the races all over again. By the way, Dwyn ain't my uncle or dad or anything like that, he's just the only game in town and has a reputation for doing only a quality job. Hint: Bring sandwiches & soft drinks and the treatment session will run overtime and the fuel will get clearer (you can even see it come out yucky and end up looking yummy). Oh, and another thing, I hope you like to talk because this charming guy does and you'll soon come to see what he'll charge you not as a fee, but admission to the floor show. Good luck and feel free to visit our boat or invite me to see yours. We're in the Santa Monica Yacht Club anchorage, slip G820. Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA Cell: 310.804.9198

mrbarnard

perhaps not contradictory

Are you implying the two accounts represent two conflicting stories???

They seem the same to me, simply from each of the viewpoints represented. But I'm dumb; personally, I think human beings always have different perspectives, and they all are truthful.

But, just as in sailing, I'm probably over my head on this matter, too. I simply wanted to share something that might be fun to read and informative, too.

Paging Mr. Rashomon. Mr. Rashomon, to the ticket counter, please. Your Ericson 29 is ready to get underway.

Part I
http://ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?t=5638

Part II
http://ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?t=5639

mrbarnard

fuel polishing

THANKS for the referral of Mr. Hendricson! (and a fun one, too) As soon as I get some $$$ ahead, that's the next project.

I'm in the process of squeezing things into my boat and cleaning her, and once that's accomplished, I'd love to share boat visits.

M Barnard
E29
Hull 185
Bay Club
Marina del Rey B basin

Michael, Congratulations to the two of you who apparently did everything needed to save the day. I'd like to share a few thoughts with you regarding the "clogged fuel filter". That is only symptomatic of a potential larger problem, especially with gasoline which separates faster and forms more tar on the bottom of the tank than diesel does (it does also but more slowly). Your Mr. Hare's Wild Ride down the coast awakened the Tank Tar Giant and he soon got to work clogging your filter. Please don't count on a simple filter change to make the problem go away and don't count on being in the right place at the right time to swap filters when/if the present one clogs up, Mr. Murphy doesn't work that way, i.e. within reach of a safe haven when the first one shut down the engine in pitch black darkness in unfamiliar waters, you get the idea. Contact Dwyn Hendricson at 310.823.5648 and consider having him come to your boat to preform kidney dialysis (fuel polishing to the non medical in the audience) to your tank and its contents. His rig consists of primary, secondary and I even think tertiary diatomaceous earth filters that will change a tar-bottomed, amber-colored fuel into something akin to Chardonet by the time he's done with you. Personally I'm a cheap b****rd and only drink Chardon B. Now that those tars are unglued from the bottom, much less of a wash cycle will suspend the particulates, no, chunks in the fuel and it'll off to the races all over again. By the way, Dwyn ain't my uncle or dad or anything like that, he's just the only game in town and has a reputation for doing only a quality job. Hint: Bring sandwiches & soft drinks and the treatment session will run overtime and the fuel will get clearer (you can even see it come out yucky and end up looking yummy). Oh, and another thing, I hope you like to talk because this charming guy does and you'll soon come to see what he'll charge you not as a fee, but admission to the floor show. Good luck and feel free to visit our boat or invite me to see yours. We're in the Santa Monica Yacht Club anchorage, slip G820. Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA Cell: 310.804.9198

tenders

Innocent Bystander
> Are you implying the two accounts represent two conflicting stories???

Not at all, although I suppose the Rashomon reference made it sound as though I was. Just that they were independently (and enjoyably) told, and available for reading in one place. How often does that happen outside of Family Court?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Are you implying the two accounts represent two conflicting stories???
They seem the same to me, simply from each of the viewpoints represented. But I'm dumb; personally, I think human beings always have different perspectives, and they all are truthful.

But, just as in sailing, I'm probably over my head on this matter, too. I simply wanted to share something that might be fun to read and informative, too.

Having been on a few delivieries that would make the one described above look a little tame, I did not see "conflict" but rather a sincere difference in perspective. I hope that both of the posters will narrate some more of their sailing trips for the rest of us. Good writing skills! :egrin:

Sitting around here looking out at the 40 degree rain coming down and reading about the latest road closures due to mudslides and flooding.... sailing news from Down South is great to have!
:)

Strictly as an aside, I believe that everyone should spend some days on jury duty... listening to sworn testimony with amazing differences in describing a mutually-observed situation...
I really enjoyed serving, and even had one (but only one) trial with a P. Mason-style surprise piece of evidence introduced that made a lier out of the defendant; the jury just ate it up!)
:cool:

Loren

mrbarnard

perspectives

Yep, I absolutely agree about JURY DUTY... not only for the insight into how we all have our own perspectives and the variety of incidents that catch one person's attention while different incidents at the same time and place catch someone else's attention, but also because I believe in the civic duty. The idea of having a dozen different people evaluate the testimonies is a great concept of civilization (notwithstanding the kneejerk reactions to occasional "bad" juries...).

It's raining here, too, but of course in Southern California, when we complain about the weather, everyone else in the "real" world just gets amused. I grew up in Minnesota. My family will have none of it when I complain about it getting cold, knowing that I mean it's touching 60 degrees while they sit in minus 10 degrees. Talk about individual perspectives!! :nerd:

Anyway, my goal is to pursue sailing as hobby/sport/lifestyle. I'm coming to it late, making a second attempt after a bit of sailing a dozen years ago. And it's an interesting challenge. I'm glad to have been lucky enough to find a nice, solid Ericson 29!

Michael

Having been on a few delivieries that would make the one described above look a little tame, I did not see "conflict" but rather a sincere difference in perspective. I hope that both of the posters will narrate some more of their sailing trips for the rest of us. Good writing skills! :egrin:

Sitting around here looking out at the 40 degree rain coming down and reading about the latest road closures due to mudslides and flooding.... sailing news from Down South is great to have!

Strictly as an aside, I believe that everyone should spend some days on jury duty... listening to sworn testimony with amazing differences in describing a mutually-observed situation...
I really enjoyed serving, and even had one (but only one) trial with a P. Mason-style surprise piece of evidence introduced that made a lier out of the defendant; the jury just ate it up!)
:cool:

Loren

mrbarnard

storytelling

Thanks! I'm supposed to be a writer, so it's nice to hear you enjoyed the piece.

> Are you implying the two accounts represent two conflicting stories???

Not at all, although I suppose the Rashomon reference made it sound as though I was. Just that they were independently (and enjoyably) told, and available for reading in one place. How often does that happen outside of Family Court?