• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

winter storage

I'm going to pull the E23 out of the water for winter storage; I'm leaving the mast up; should any of the shrouds, backstay, etc be lossen because of the cold weather; also I need to remember how to get the adjustment back to its previous location; any comments would be helpful.
Tom

sleather

Sustaining Member
Hull

Tom, What Nate said, also if your not going to cover the boat(?)
I would recommend a "good" application of 3M Marine Fiberglass Cleaner and Wax(or similar w/ UV protection) to prevent your RED hull from "going south"(fading)

I would also recommend some sort of "side covers" to keep that RED in shape(what did the PO do?) It's really hard to get red boats "back" once they go!

Also "IF" you have a trailer, jack it up and "block" the axles to keep the weight "off" the tires and bearings.

Make sure your bilge stays dry (centerboard?) it may take some "bow down" to get all the water out! Water between the keel and CB trunk is like an "ice cube tray"(bad place for expansion)!

Hey "post" some pics, we want to see what you've got!

Last edited:

marcusn

Member II
water in bildge

On my 27, there seems to always be water in the bildge (leaky port lights I think). I've poured some -60 degree anit freeze in to it. I'm hoping that by diluting the standing water with antifreeze, I'll not have any freezing expansion issues.

Thoughts?

sleather

Sustaining Member
Same here!

I do the same thing! The E23(centerbaord) has an EVIL bilge! Lead "ingots"(ballast) glassed into the openings between the hull & CB trunck. Hard to drain completely(I try!)

Thanks for the "heads-up"! I forgot to mention that!:egrin:

stuartm80127

Member II
On my 27, there seems to always be water in the bildge (leaky port lights I think). I've poured some -60 degree anit freeze in to it. I'm hoping that by diluting the standing water with antifreeze, I'll not have any freezing expansion issues.

Thoughts?

Sure, your bilge will be ok with that. If boat is out of water, use a wet/dry vac and get all water out. Use a tarp to at least cover the port light point of ingress. I would imagine that if water is getting in and then is subject to freezing that eventually, the fiberglass around the port light or somewhere along the drip path, may get full with water/ice and may start cracking.

If you have leaking on your deck then fix it on the top, drill 1" drying holes from the bottom and let the core dry out for 5..6 months. I have seen non-rotted balsa core (tan) with a totally mush consistency that I can only presume resulted from continuous freeze/thaw cycles.