• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

outboard mechanic

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Does anyone know of a good outboard mechanic in Sausalito? The outboard on my boat starts fine, idles fine but will not run at higher RPM's without choking.
Thanks,

Rob Hessenius

Inactive Member
Quickleen

Mark- Before you take it in, run a Quicksilver product called Quickleen thru the motor. You just add it to the tank. I had the exact same problem and this is what the Mercury guy told me. I usually dont believe in the "snake oils", but this one worked for similar issues. Rob Hessenius

sleather

Sustaining Member
The outboard on my boat starts fine, idles fine but will not run at higher RPM's without choking.

First, New Plugs?, old/bad plugs don't work @ higher RPM's.
Replace the Fuel Filter, "crap" in filter could be limiting flow!
Dump the "old" gas(how old?) & get new before you try Robs solution! That might work!

Good Luck, What is it????

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Thanks Steve and Rob. What are you guys doing looking down here?!
Hey Rob, sorry to hear about your job (or lack of) issue. I just finished reading your post.

Last edited:

sleather

Sustaining Member
Oops

Just comes up as a "New Post", never considered the source!
We have "outboards" too!
We're getting "early cabin fever" up here, winds, 24 gusting to 34, Tornado watch!

Last edited:

ChrisS

Member III
I used this guy to service an outboard on my last boat:

Marine Outboard
265 Gate 5 Rd
Sausalito, CA
(415) 332-8020

seanflinn

Inactive Member
Could be a number of things... water in carburetor... fuel pump...What make and model engine do you have? I might be able to help... I have worked as a outboard mechanic for a number of years now... more info would be helpful. Did you take a sample of your fuel to check for water...does the fuel bulb pump up and stay hard while idling? those are a few simple diagnostic tests that you can do, before turning your engine over to a shop that could charge you an arm and a leg... There I did it, I made my first post 1970 E35 2 #124 :egrin:

Erich

Member II
Mark,
I had the exact same problem with my Merc 5 hp 4 stroke this spring. Does yours run at full trottle for 5-10 seconds and then die off if you can't get it into idle quickly? After draining the carb multiple times looking for water and disconnecting the fuel hose I took it into a shop. They sprayed something into it (like carb cleaner but it was a Mercury product) and that freed whatever had stuck closed. Could have saved myself a lot of time and a few dollars by doing it myself.
Now I'm wondering what is the best way to winterize these small outboards. The manual says to drain the carb but that was how the motor was stored last winter. A friend with a Honda 5 hp used to have the same running problem until he left gas in all year long. Started easily for 4 springs after that.
Good luck
Erich