• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Now, I get to sailing!!!

Rob Hessenius

Inactive Member
Now, I get to go sailing!!!

Well, Today I was told to go sailing. West Marine decided that I had worked for them too long. I started with WM over ten years ago. I was "old school" and just couldnt be the "cheerleader" that they wanted me to be. I also didnt meet the "extended warranty" quota either. Eighteen other good people were told to go sailing too, throughout North America.
My biggest regret was that this didnt happen in the summer. Here in WI I might have another month before the boat has to lay up for the long winter.

Rob

Last edited:

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Rob, sorry to hear that. I had thought that a place like West Marine might be a good part time job during my early retirement years coming up soon, but not if it's a pressure job as it sounds. I didn't know there were sales quotas, etc. Are they all like that?
Frank.

sleather

Sustaining Member
Holy Crap!

Rob, What can I say? NO ONE has been able to sell me an "extended warranty" and I'm $$$$$ ahead because of it! Most electronics last long enough to become obsolete!

MHO (My Honest Opinion) The "cheerleaders" @ the W.M. store I do business w/ don't know their SHACKLES from their SNATCH BLOCKS(being polite), and don't care that they don't know! I'm not saying this to be nice, I get annoyed everytime I walk through the door! There are some "nice kids" but they don't stick around long enough to learn anything! Every time I go in there it's me giving a seminar about what I need(I usually end up helping customers)! Same thing @ the Hardware store!

MHO is that W.M. is "doomed", nobody likes their prices! Most people I know are doing their own research and buying off the web! The only thing I like is the catalog! And "free" shipping on large items, store---store.

In the 70's the best chandlery in the Midwest was "Lands End", look at what happened to them! The boating business is not easy!

I wonder what's in store for us "old schoolers", it's funny Frank, I was thinking the "same" thing!

Well Rob, the best of luck to you! HEAD SOUTH, "sign on" for a NEW adventure!

Last edited:

Rob Hessenius

Inactive Member
Sleather/Frank- It's a great place for a part-time job, As long as you know that you dont really need the income from the job. This was the hardest part for me. All of my full and part timers were there for 6+ years. I had 7 employees including me. I was able to keep them working throughout the off season here in WI. The full timers I could provide enough hours to maintain there benefits and keep food on there tables. The part timers would gladly fill in during these months for something to do. We all knew that winters would be lean, but we got through them. This is how the seasonal stores survived for the first seven years with WM. Then came a new regime. House cleaning began, good people that knew the business were gone. Some saw the handwriting on the wall. For awhile you would get the "its been great to work with ya, but its a new pasture for me" emails. Then even that stopped. You didnt even know that these people were gone. Then you would get the typical form letter that they have molded together job responsibilities. The marketing guy was also your contact that you called to help you with your broken toilet. This dual roll took its toll on good people. It was chaos!
This is where it all changed for me. A "new" selling program. The best ever program that would make everybody rich. We were about to get into our customers heads. Treat them great, listen to them and get them what they wanted. We were going to profile them. We spent millions on training, hired a guy that was the cruise director. Pilot programs all over the country. He lasted 4 months, he quit. It was his program and they wanted to do it there way now. Kinda sound like "private label" products in the stores. These selling skills were going to reduce payroll at the store level because the employee could handle more. These skills had nothing to do with product knowledge. They were about selling a waterski to a guy that came in for a shackle!
As I said I had 7 employees then. The next year I had 5, last year 4 and yesterday 3 and they wanted me to lose 1 of them. I could not do it. This is where the line in the sand was drawn. I could not hurt anyone else.

So yes, there are quotas on service products i.e extended warranties, credit cards, memberships, products of the month. So if you like the guy/girl who's at the store you shop, realize there getting there balls kicked in about this.

I know business is business and it might sound like I'm bitter. The truth is that I am just sad. As I look back the worst thing that ever happend for boating was on the day that BoatUS sold out to WM.

Rob Hessenius

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Rob,
I am so sorry you were forced into this transition. You have always been a loyal WM employee and I have enjoyed our email conversations. Even when I would take a "cheap shot" at WM, you politely reminded me of the many people like yourself that still had long tenure and knowledge and were helping customers the best they could.

While I doubt that WM is going broke any time real soon, they certainly have abandoned their former customer base. :mad:

If you need a character reference, sigh me up!

Loren in Portland

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Rob, thanks for your detailed post. Although I don't shop often at West Marine, I will be more sensitive to what may be going on "behind the scenes" for the staff still working there. And who knows, maybe some day I'll end up there as well on a part-time basis to supplement retirement income and make contact with sailors.
Good luck in finding a suitable next venture, and thanks again!
Frank.

Gary Peterson

Marine Guy
The WM store that I shopped would always honor other catalogs that had cheaper prices until I asked about an item this past late summer. I was told then that they no longer did this. The price in the store was THE price. I walked out and now do all my shopping at a local small store that has very good service but is farther from home.:mad:
Thank God for the Internet to compare prices!!
:egrin:

Mike.Gritten

Member III
Hmmmm. I had the exact OPPOSITE experience a few weeks ago with WM. I like to buy locally for all the good reasons, but I was buying a new propane galley stove (Force10 model #633351) and noticed that it was listed on an internet sale at a dealer in Eastern Canada for more than $300 less than at WM here in Vancouver. I went to talk to Wendy, the manager at WM, and explained the situation, saying I was ready to plunk down the $$$ if she would match the price (the "other" guys would ship it to me for free!). She cheerfully said, "We can match that deal!". And today we have the WM-supplied stove in our boat!
FYI, the WM price in CDN dollars was $1,535; in US dollars $1280 and we paid CDN $1180! BTW, our CDN $ are now worth US $1.02!!!

Steve Swann

Member III
Honor and Integrity Count

Rob,

In previous post, I recall that you always did a laudable job defending WM while employed there and even promoting your employer in a tasteful way when warranted. I think you have held your position honorably and your integrity is increasingly becoming a rare commodity. WM has lost more through this than just another good employee. Keep up the good posts and now go wear out that boat of yours. We're all cheering for you here!

Warm regards,

Steve Swann

"Land on your feet, not your keel"

rbonilla

"don't tread on me" member XVXIIIII
wow...what an expierence...where would you shop today for parts and supplies?

Sleather/Frank- It's a great place for a part-time job, As long as you know that you dont really need the income from the job. This was the hardest part for me. All of my full and part timers were there for 6+ years. I had 7 employees including me. I was able to keep them working throughout the off season here in WI. The full timers I could provide enough hours to maintain there benefits and keep food on there tables. The part timers would gladly fill in during these months for something to do. We all knew that winters would be lean, but we got through them. This is how the seasonal stores survived for the first seven years with WM. Then came a new regime. House cleaning began, good people that knew the business were gone. Some saw the handwriting on the wall. For awhile you would get the "its been great to work with ya, but its a new pasture for me" emails. Then even that stopped. You didnt even know that these people were gone. Then you would get the typical form letter that they have molded together job responsibilities. The marketing guy was also your contact that you called to help you with your broken toilet. This dual roll took its toll on good people. It was chaos!
This is where it all changed for me. A "new" selling program. The best ever program that would make everybody rich. We were about to get into our customers heads. Treat them great, listen to them and get them what they wanted. We were going to profile them. We spent millions on training, hired a guy that was the cruise director. Pilot programs all over the country. He lasted 4 months, he quit. It was his program and they wanted to do it there way now. Kinda sound like "private label" products in the stores. These selling skills were going to reduce payroll at the store level because the employee could handle more. These skills had nothing to do with product knowledge. They were about selling a waterski to a guy that came in for a shackle!
As I said I had 7 employees then. The next year I had 5, last year 4 and yesterday 3 and they wanted me to lose 1 of them. I could not do it. This is where the line in the sand was drawn. I could not hurt anyone else.

So yes, there are quotas on service products i.e extended warranties, credit cards, memberships, products of the month. So if you like the guy/girl who's at the store you shop, realize there getting there balls kicked in about this.

I know business is business and it might sound like I'm bitter. The truth is that I am just sad. As I look back the worst thing that ever happend for boating was on the day that BoatUS sold out to WM.

Rob Hessenius

sleather

Sustaining Member
Kid in a Candy Store!

wow...what an expierence...where would you shop today for parts and supplies?

And to think, Rob "had" all day to shop! We should ALL be so lucky!
Once again ALL THE BEST!----West Marine's LOSS!----Somebody's Gain!

Last edited:

Bob in Va

Member III
Penny wise, pound foolish...

My experiences with WM over the years have ranged from dealing with a saleskid just out of high school who essentially knew nothing about any of the products to very knowledgeable guys who gave me great advice (sometimes even talking me OUT of buying something) and bending over backwards to make me happy, in one case GIVING me the stuff to repair a VHF radio, saying that if I sent it in, it wouldn't be back in time to use that season. I include you in the latter category, as you have several times alerted me to upcoming sales, etc. What happened to you is exactly why WM is taking it on the chin - even with their higher prices I think they could compete in the marketplace by virtue of good customer relations and prompt service. However, the now-prevalent "bean counter" mentality has become the norm and we are seeing it virtually everywhere. I could relate several stories very similar to yours involving loyal employees, project managers, etc. who earned every penny and then some, whose experience and expertise was lost because the top brass thought a know-nothing cheerleader who would work for less could do the same job. A good friend of mine, a german guy who is an engineer/salesman for Siemens, says it is very hard to compete in the U.S. market with a product that costs twice as much but lasts ten times as long, because the accountants and managers who advise on the purchase are only looking at the next few quarters, figuring they will be gone after that in their journey up the ladder of success. I liked WM, in spite of some of their problems - it was always a good day when their catalogue came in the mail. I won't boycott them, but after reading your words I'll do a little more looking on the internet and a little more driving before buying there.

Gary Peterson

Marine Guy
Rob,
As I re-read your initial post on this thread, I can totally understand your pain and sadness.:esad:
I was a marine technical service engineer for Detroit Diesel. DaimlerChrysler bought DDC and turned over the off-highway (including marine) to MTU diesels of Germany. MTU took over all engineering and discontinued the DDC marine engine line. All was well for awhile until MTU cleaned house of any long time DDC employee who would question them on any issue. In May 1993 anyone over 55 who was eligible for retirement was "offered" the "choice" to retire. :mad: They made it worth while $ wise to do it. The only other choice was to sue for age discrimination, which would have been a waste of time and $. I saw the handwriting and decided to take their offer. Best move I ever made. :) I have contracted with a large East coast DDC/MTU distributor (Western Branch Diesel) in Portsmouth, VA since 1993 to do their marine application engineering and CAD designing. I will retire December 14th of this year for good. The traveling back and forth from Michigan to Virginia has been brutal on me. :headb: Now if the Great Lakes weren't so bloody cold and our boats put away for the winter, I would be sailing. Now the "honey do list" starts. I have some remodeling to do and the wife has stated that our sailboat won't sail so good locked to the cradle. Sounds like she is serious about her list !! :wife:

PS: DDC on-highway is now under the control and banner of Freightliner Trucks. Total German management. Sad what is happening to American companies.

Gary Peterson :egrin:
E381 QUIXOTIC

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Hey Rob -

Sorry to hear about you getting 'shoved off the dock' in that manner - while it's a drag to hear about, I'm really not surprised that a retail group would take such a position.

We have family who work for larger companies (won't say who - but let's just say they make lots of switches and routers and their name rhymes with 'disco') who have similar pollicies - stuff like "...each year team members all rate each other - and those who fall in the bottom 10% are fired immediately...". Have to keep your eye on the quarterly earnings statement, you know!

Such policies have a great impact on the morale of employees - and make them less willing to 'give' their assets to the company (stuff like giving 110% - looking for ways to solve problems, etc). Very short sighted, to say the least...

:esad:

You'll find this bit of pruning is actually good for your life - forces you to do things you would have put off - or take steps you might have not taken before because you were too comfortable, etc.

Anyhow - best wishes to you!

//sse (out-sourced in 03')

Mort Fligelman

Member III
West Marine......

Rob: I began dealing with West when all they sold was line out of a barn in New England...... This was in the 1960's...They have grown into a "Corporate America" monster.....the people they employ are no different than any others in corp USA....only as good as the last quarterly report......

I owned a small business....worked hard.....and when it came time to get out I was approached by many from the large corporations......they told me how much they were going to pay me (in thier corporate stock of course.....lettered so that I would have had to hold it until they ran it into the ground)...how long I had to work for them at roughly one third of the salary I was paying myself.....which was not out of line for the 90+ hour weeks I worked along with the traveling I had to do ........

Gary Comer who started Lands End transitioned out of the boat business into the clothing business....sold out to Sears and recently died a billionaire.....

There will be one to come along and eventually eat Wests lunch.....it is unfortunate that you got caught up in the start of thier move to forget where they began......

I am sure it is of little comfort......but what goes around comes around....

Good Luck
Mort Fligelman
Acapella 87 E35-3
Boca Raton Florida

Lucky Dog

Member III
The Walmart of chandlers.

I didn't know. sorry to hear of WM change focus to the bottom line, instead of people and quality. I shopped at Walmart until i found out better. I will continue to use the WM catalogue as reference and look for continued advice from this exchange.

Change is good if for nothing else it forces one to re-examine one passions.

ml