• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

iPhone in the future?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Not "sailing related"... Yet!
My October issue of EAA Sport Aviation arrived today. Page 20 has an
announcement in the "What's New" section for an
"iPhone edition of its on-demand flight data." They say that "Airport diagrams, approach plates, and weather imagery can be pinched and dragged to adjust the view."
"Built specifically for the iPhone screen."

www.ForeFlight.com

I have no idea how many Ericson-owning pilots we have checking in here, but this just looked... interesting.

Perhaps more navigational uses will be coming on line for this latest gismo. Ya think?
:cool:

Loren
(Who is still quite happy with his $35. Nokia, on a month-to-month plan. Luddite that he is, he uses it only as a... "telephone.")

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
A screen you can read!

An Electronic Flight Bag-Phone? Does the FAA have any rules about taxiing while using a cell phone? :nonono: Can't risk a runway incursion.

Are there any rules against cellphone use while airborne in private airplanes these days? I heard the multiple cell-site problems have been solved.

It's been over 10 years since I last flew as a pilot, outside of a simulator.

Thanks, Loren.

jkenan

Member III
The short answer is yes, MacENC can be accessed via i-Phone. What I am trying to ascertain is whether it makes better sense to use the i-Phone as a remote display to a machine below-decks via Vines server (ie. only limitation to disk space is the that of the server CPU), or to run a mini MacENC app on the i-Phone itself (which the developers say can be run). I don't own an i-Phone yet, but think one may be in my future, soon! Anyone else using the i-Phone with MacENC? I'd be very intereseted in learning about your config. My thoughts are to get an IP-68 enclosure, maybe a remote trackpad (rated the same) for the cockpit, and use the i-Phone as the monitor.

Thoughts?

CaptDan

Member III
Not "sailing related"... Yet!

Perhaps more navigational uses will be coming on line for this latest gismo. Ya think?
:cool:

Loren
(Who is still quite happy with his $35. Nokia, on a month-to-month plan. Luddite that he is, he uses it only as a... "telephone.")

I'm a cheapie-wireless guy myself. But, I've no doubts that developers will offer some amazing (meaning: boating-specific) apps for the iPhone, as this aviation deal already suggests.

Wasn't long ago an old technology called 'PalmPilot' opened new application paths too (I still use me olde Palm V with the freebie 'TideTool' loaded). I'm thinking within two years, entire mini/iPhone-nav systems will appear on boats, despite the mind-boggling space-treats Garmin's about to introduce.

Jus' ruminatin'.:cool:

Capt Dan G>E35II "Kunu"

Bardo

Member II
I can only imagine what it will be like on a severe clear sunny afternoon to try to read the iPhone screen while airborne (or taxiing for that matter). And fiddling with the screen, head down in the cockpit...talk about Coriolis effect! I think I'm old fashioned now...