• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

First Trip to Avalon

Sam Vickery

Member III
My "first crossing"

I will be sailing to Avalon for the first time. I will be leaving from Dana Point on Friday (10/19/07) around 9am. The plan is spend the weekend in Avalon because of the Jazz Festival. Returning on Sunday. I am hoping to get a mooring. Do you think this will be a problem? If given a choice, where is the best place to be (calm water)? NorthStar is an 86 E32-3.

Any other suggestions for a sucessful trip to the island would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Sam

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Getting a Can.

Have a great crossing Sam. The E32-3's a great boat, wish I had one. I am up here in San Pedro so I have just about the shortest line to the Island and have sailed to Catalina over 35 times now. I think it's about 35 miles to Avalon from Dana Point. To answer your questions, Yes it will probably be crowded for the Jazz Fest. Avalon is most always crowded during the warmer months as well as big events like the Jazz fest. The calmest areas in Avalon are inside the break water near the Tuna Club and Catalina Yacht Club. That's what I always shoot for. Outside the break water they have moorings in front of Descanso Beach and Hamelton Cove (by the Condos). I have never had to moor at Hamelton Cove but I have moored at Descanso Beach and it can be pretty rolley over there.

I would recommend sailing over a day or two before the Festival starts, to try to get a can inside. Also, when you meet the patrol boat that assigns the moorings, tell them you want to be inside. Sometimes they will recommend that you just wait out side for a while and see if someone's going to be pulling out. I have had good luck getting inside that way.

Have a great trip!
:egrin:
Beam Winds!

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Picking up a mooring.

Also,
If you have never picked up a mooring over there yet, check this site out. Granted, it's for Two Harbors but it's done the same way at Avalon.

http://www.visitcatalinaisland.com/twoHarbors/boat_mooring.php

Mooring Usage
1. Use pole to attach Bow Hawser to Bow Cleat. (Hawser is located approximately six-feet below the surface of the water.)
2. Run Spreader Line to boat stern. (Spreader Line is attached to Bow Hawser.)
3. Remove slack from Spreader Line and attach Stern Hawser to Stern Cleat.
4. Re-check Bow and Stern Cleats to make sure you are moored securely. Drop slack Spreader Line into water.
Note: Tidal changes will affect your mooring. Lines need to be adjusted periodically as tide changes add or remove slack.
Leaving a mooring
• First untie the stern line, then the bow line (wind conditions may require this to be done in the reverse order). Drop them and the spreader line into the water.
• To prevent fouling, allow time for lines to sink free and clear of your propeller. Double check that your propeller is clear of lines before proceeding.
• If you believe you have fouled your propeller, please call the Harbor Patrol on VHF Channel 12 IN AVALON!! for assistance.:egrin:

Attachments

• mooring_first_time.jpg
    mooring_first_time.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:

Sam Vickery

Member III
Jeff,

Thanks for the information. Unfortunately, I am unable to leave before Friday am. So I will have a back up plan if there are no cans at Avalon. I am looking forward to a great weekend with the music and exploring the island.

Sam

Sam Vickery

Member III
Jeff,

Thanks for the information. Picking up a can "sounds" pretty straight forward. Unfortunately, I am unable to leave before Friday am. So I will have a back up plan if there are no cans at Avalon. Perhaps White's? I am looking forward to a great weekend with the music and exploring the island.

Sam

paul culver

Member III
Think about Isthmus Cove as a back up. They have shore boats and a bus to Avalon during the summer months. Maybe longer, but I don't know for sure. You could probably call the Harbor Reef Restaurant in Isthmus to find out more.

jkm

Member III
Sam

Have a great ride. I only stay at Two Harbors because Avalon is both too far from MDR and noisy.

Any mooring on the west side ot the harbor is good. They have water taxi's so leave your dink if you're towing.

Call Two Harbors and ask about getting to the jazz festival. They may have special boat runs. The overland taxi takes way too long. Do a web search on catalina island and two harbors.

If exploring is your thing then Two Harbors is the place to be-it's really homey, free wi-fi, food is great and quiet(er)

John

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Jazz Festival at Avalon?

Hey Sam,

I was wondering how your trip and crossing to the Jazz Festival at Avalon was. Did you get one of their elusive cans?

:egrin:

Sam Vickery

Member III
Avalon Trip

Hey Jeff,

We will be leaving on 10/19/07 (10/18 if I can get things squared away at the office). So I have no yarns to spin as of yet. The planning is turning out to be enjoyable. Always questions like "Do we tow the dingy or carry it on the foredeck?" How much food to pack, how much bottled water (for coffee) to take, how to store the vino so we do not have any accidents (inside an old gym sock and stored in the wine rack.....that would be a clean gym sock)

I'm having a great time and as usual probably over planning but that is part of my O.C.D. I will let you know how the long weekend goes.

Sam

Glyn Judson

First Trip to Avalon.

All, In a slightly different vein, Marilyn and I are planning to go to Isthmus Cove, Catalina Island for four days beginning a week from now, October 12 through October 15 to attend the annual and very popular event, Cruisers Weekend. http://www.catalinadining.com/calendar_detail.cfm/event_id/9632 and http://www.visitcatalinaisland.com/twoHarbors/EventPlanning.php. We'll be on a mooring on the west side of the cove up against the "wall" so if any other of you are planning to attend, please stop by our E31 the Dawn Treader to say howdy after we've invited you aboard for a cup of coffee or a can of soda and some munchies. Look for our large Welsh flag flying from the spreaders. http://www.data-wales.co.uk/flag.htm Glyn, Marilyn and former guide dog Golden Retriever, Frank.