• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Sailing Bumper Sticker

Emerald

It was worth going to work today - got to see a cool bumper sticker as part of the process. It read:

Life is too short to sail an ugly boat.

Right on the money, and good thing we sail Ericsons!

:egrin:

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
So true! I was sailing with a friend and we passed a boat that to me looked about as unappealing as any sailboat I'd seen. I was just about to make a comment to that effect, when my friend remarked about what a good looking boat it was, though obviously a bit slow compared with us. That was especially surprising, as we tend to think the same about boats, but one never knows....
As for me, I've always owned exceptionally beautiful boats!! :egrin:
Frank.

Bolo

Contributing Partner
Better then most, even the new ones!

This past weekend we rafted up with a couple who chartered a new Jeanneau 36'. Our boat is a E32-3, 1987. My wife is an old friend of the wife, Barb who she hadn't seen in years, from way back when they were in high school together and learned how to sail on Barb's father's old Westerly. She's been on boats ever since those days.

After we looked the Jeanneau, Barb ask to see the inside of our Ericson since she'd never been on one. After about ten minutes she came back on deck and raved about our boat! She even liked it more then the Jeanneau they had chartered comparing it to a floating "apartment" rather then a "true" sailboat like our E32.

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
But each owner thinks his or her boat IS beautiful!

:rolleyes:

LB

Not too long after buying my boat, as I was jumping aboard, clutching a west marine brown paper bag for my next project, I saw a young girl staring at me; as I looked towards her, she was running away shouting "Mummy, that boat is SO ugly!" My mind was too slow to assemble a setence along the lines of "You should see her under sail...", so I went below.

She must be dating age now, I hope she has learned to be easier on men's feelings.

treilley

Sustaining Partner
My father in law admits his boat(Etap 39) is not pretty but makes up for it by sailing fast. I spent 3 days with him trying to keep up with me:egrin:.

Bolo

Contributing Partner
We (Ericsons) sail fast.

My father in law admits his boat(Etap 39) is not pretty but makes up for it by sailing fast. I spent 3 days with him trying to keep up with me:egrin:.

I also neglected to mention that when we met our friends with the chartered Jeanneau 36' on the bay we sailed along side of them for awhile and literally ran circles around them. They couldn't keep up with us so I kept making big circles around their boat to stay close until they told me, via VHF, to just go on. However, I don't think they were trimming their sails very well. I guess chartering once in awhile makes you "rusty".:rolleyes:

Cory B

Sustaining Member
"No Class"

While in Westport (Washington coast) this summer we were docked a little ways down from an old wooden 50' ketch. We were easily the two biggest sailboats in the marina that night. A guy comes walking down the dock (obviously oblivious to knowing anything about sailboats :) ), and after walking by the ketch, walks back by us and says aloud "No Class". We laughed. He probably didn't know we were on board as we were down below. I wonder what he would have thought if one of the newer plastic fantastics was docked down there as well.

- Cory

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I have spent a few nights docked in beautiful Westport...
We always marveled at some of the semi-abandoned boats that were being floated mostly on the efforts of regular pumping...
:p

Old woodies can sure exhibit a lot of romance and salty "class", but I would not trade my fiberglass boat for wood rot, recalking, and constant varnishing and painting.

:egrin:

LB

ps: wooden boat maintenance kinda reminds me of the script line at the start of a certain movie...
Capt Willard: "Everyone gets everything he wants. I wanted a mission, and for my sins, they gave me one."

sleather

Sustaining Member
Capt Willard: "Everyone gets everything he wants. I wanted a mission, and for my sins, they gave me one."

I have freinds, so encumbered, you never see them on the water!

But they DID get one hell of a "deal" on the boat!

Last edited:

sleather

Sustaining Member
Ugly?

It's a "loose interpretation" of "sail", and it's a study in "form follows function"-----YOU BE THE JUDGE!!!----It's my OTHER side.

Attachments

• IMG_0087.jpg
    IMG_0087.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 173

sleather

Sustaining Member
Yep, good eye, but it ain't "pretty". Great offshore boat(Great Lakes) if you can keep a "motor" running! The owner "website" is MSN groups, PITA, I've dropped the hint, no response!

We lost our dealer in '03, so NO dealers from "left to right" coasts! I talk to the "factory" occasionally.