• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Ericson's in and around LA Harbor on Labor Day!

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Saw a bunch of Ericson's out, in and around LA Harbor on Labor Day.

I saw and shared friendly hello's with a beautifully restored E-23 with blue stripes in Hurricane Gulch. I also saw what looked to be a E-38 yellow stripes at the same time, the name was "Golden", something. Also saw a E-29 or 30 with blue stripes.

Who were all those boats?

Glad to see Ericson's well represented on a beautiful and very hot windy day in LA Harbor. I was clocking the wind at over 23 knots at around 2:30 pm.

:egrin::egrin:

Shaggy

Member II
Monday no, Sunday yes!

Sorry to miss all the fun on Monday, Jeff.

Had a very nice 15-ish knot day on Sunday. Passed a gorgeous inbound E35 as I sailed out of Angel's Gate. Anyone? Bueller...?

Still fairly new to SoCal sailing. I couldn't get over the temperature difference offshore. It was like sailing into a furnace when I headed back in later in the afternoon.

Sunday was a great day to be out on the water. Wish I could've been out Monday as well, but duty called... (or is it "doody called"?)

Hope to see you out there soon, Jeff.

Shaggy
1986 E38
"Reach for It..."

Meanolddad

Member III
Yea for Sunday

We were also out Sunday. We sailed from San Pedro down to Whites island and back. Lots of boats anchored in the lee of the island. It was really nice to beat the heat, my wife was in a sweatshirt because she was cold. The temperature seemed like it went up about 30 degrees when we headed back into Fish Harbor and the slip. The wind was just perfect.
I also had to work on Monday, someone has to keep the lights on.
Greg

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
"It was like sailing into a furnace when I headed back in later in the afternoon."

Shaggy
1986 E38
"Reach for It...

That is exactly what I experienced! I sailed out about 6.5 miles from Angle's Gate and back and once inside a 1/4 mile of the break water it was a Blast Furnace. While off shore all I was wearing was shorts and my PFD and I never felt chilled. Still in the mid 70's out there. Things have really cooled down today. Thank God.

Hey, by the way, I am headed for Two Harbors Friday morning and returning Sunday. Looking forward to a some what less crowded Island.:egrin:

Last edited:

windjunkee

Member III
Jeff,

We had Voice of Reason down in your area on Saturday-Sunday. We raced in the Long Beach-Dana Point race starting on Saturday morning, which sailed up through Angels Gate. There were several Ericsons in the race. Of course I recognized Aries, which is an E-32 mark III, but there was a 35 and at least 2 38's which I did not recognize. We came back up the coast from Dana Point on Sunday. (White hull, blue stripes, dacron main and kevlar jib)

Jim McCone
Voice of Reason E-32-2 hull #134
Redondo Beach, CA

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
How did you do in the race?

Hi Jim,

How did you do in the race? I know "Aries", she's berthed on the next dock over from me. I think the owner's name is Tim. Talked to him a couple of times and as I recall, he's not that interested in EY.org. I know he's a member of the Hurricane Gulch Yacht Club. "Aries" is a very actively competitive boat. Personally I haven't raced my E-27. I would need to loose a few hundred pounds of cruising gear and add more sails to my inventory that only consists of two sails. Some day maybe.

Thanks for sharing!

paul culver

Member III
Hey Jeff

Looks like you saw "Golden Girl". Her new owner Bill Upchurch just posted on this site and he is a harbor neighbor of yours.

By the way I did have my E29 at Isthmus Aug 14 - 16 but ran out of time for a visit to Cabrillo. Maybe next time.

--Paul