• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Big Dog - Dogs on Board

marcusn

Member II
Hey all,
I'm about to take the plunge!

A 1975 E27!

My wife would really like to bring our Newfoundland (dog) along for sails in the future

Does anyone have a good way of getting a 90lb. dog back aboard after a swim?

Also, as the companion way has fairly steep steps, I'm thinking I should figure out an easily removable ramp of some sorts so the dog can get inside and out with relative ease. Does anyone have experience doing this?

Thanks all,

Marcus

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Hey Marcus -

Congrats on the boat - you'll be very happy with her!

On the pooch - the image below shows how one family gets their goldens into the dingy (note the swim platform). If you follow the link below, you can see their entire site:

Good luck the purchase!

//sse

Attachments

• DinghyLoading.jpg
    DinghyLoading.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 541

Captron

Member III
Big Dog

Our Molly is only 9lbs so we can't be much help, except some of our friends with big dogs manage just fine.

One friend has a floating net like thing that terminates in a short ramp. The swimming dog's claws can hook into the floating part and he walks right up to his boarding ladder. Of course, his dog is a lab that requires very little incentive to take a flying leap off the side of the boat. The dog will chase anything thrown from the boat so he's careful about what gets 'thrown' overboard.

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
First question: Where did you find a 90 pound Newfoundland??? Is it a puppy? Or maybe a Toy Newf breed? :p

Our newf is 8 months old and weighs 95 pounds. She'll certainly grow another 40 pounds over the next year.

We have not tried getting our dog out of the water into the boat, but we've been working on ways to get her from dinghy to cockpit. We're experimenting with a boarding ramp that goes from toe-rail to dinghy thwart. Our dog is kind of a chicken, so the process involves some tugging and shoving.

Let me know what you come up with.

I'd be interested in more detail or pics of the underwater cargo net/boarding ramp that was described above.

Nate

Rob Hessenius

Inactive Member
Marcus- My sailing buddy has a 4 year old Newf. called Zephyr, he is 160lbs. He took him sailing alot until he fell off the boat. Now he is just a land lover. He wont even walk on the docks anymore. He just drops and becomes a land anchor. But before he became pyschotic and heavier, they put a lifejacket that had a grab handle to pick him up if needed. You will have alot of dog soon. Rob

marcusn

Member II
90lbs and growing!

She's about 9 months old, and one of the slower growing varieties of newfs. I'm thinking she'll top out at 110lbs.

I've read about the harness and lifting, but I don't think we'd be able to get the leverage, over the side of the boat, to lift her up.

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
She's about 9 months old, and one of the slower growing varieties of newfs. I'm thinking she'll top out at 110lbs.

I've read about the harness and lifting, but I don't think we'd be able to get the leverage, over the side of the boat, to lift her up.

You'd need to rig up a tackle off your boom, or use a halyard and a winch.

jkm

Member III
Marcus

I've got a Rot and the only way to get her in or off the boat into a punt is the old fashion way-over my shoulder.

Good luck with this one!

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
The life vest/harness is a must. Not so much for actually being able to lift a large dog, but to just help them or hook them in an emergency.

We have 2 greyhounds that sail on our 38... they go with us less and less due to the awkwardness of dealing with top-heavy dogs on a boat. They go with us when we go to marinas, but getting them in and out of the dink was near impossible without an open transom or swim platform.
Ruffwear makes a nice life vest.

Your newfie will be a much better sailing dog than our greys, but big dogs and dinghies/companionways/swim ladders are tough.

L-G Harvey

Member I
Doggy ladder

I'm also trying to figure this one out, although my dog is a 60 pound chocolate lab. She loves the boat and the water, but getting her in and out is a problem. I came across a product online called the "doggy ladder" made by the same people who make the life vest we bought for her (Paws Aboard). These are in effect plastic steps that float at a resonable angle from the boat and thus make it easy for the dog to climb them. They claim that dogs must be trained to use them but that they take to it quickly. The drawback seems to be adaptation to a sailboat. In my case the addition of somekind of swim patform might be necessary. Here's the link to their site:

http://www.pawsaboard.com/index.asp

Louis

Last edited:

jkm

Member III
We also have an Aussie and that's about the only dog I've ever seen with the ability to get in or out of our 35. She can almost walk on a 2 x 4. They are a pretty agile breed.

I can't see a floating ramp working anywhere but on a normal sized lake with no swell.

John

Bob in Va

Member III
Big Dogs

We have 4 dogs and frequently take the smallest (a smaller than average Sheltie) sailing, but I have always wondered how hard a larger dog's nails would be on fiberglass and finished wood, especially on a sporty day when the wind is up and the dog is occasionally scrambling to find good footing. Does anyone have input on that issue? By the way, I'd better modify the first sentence: Four dogs allow us to live at their house....

Big dogs

Hi Bob,

I don't know about other big dogs but years ago we had a 80 lb. Doberman(winter time weight went up to 90lbs). Any way, one day on the boat my wife put him up on the main hatch. Not a good idea:eek:. His nails(trimmed) dug down to the bare wood. Over the years of sanding and varnishing I've gone down to the second layer of ply in most places and the marks are mostly gone. So, I think I'm going to put mahogony or teak strips on the hatch next spring just to spruce things up a bit.

Chad

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
We have 4 dogs and frequently take the smallest (a smaller than average Sheltie) sailing, but I have always wondered how hard a larger dog's nails would be on fiberglass and finished wood, especially on a sporty day when the wind is up and the dog is occasionally scrambling to find good footing. Does anyone have input on that issue? By the way, I'd better modify the first sentence: Four dogs allow us to live at their house....

There are boots (booties?) for dogs that increase traction and protect paws and boat decks & cabin soles. Usually used when underway.

mark reed

Member III
We also got the Ruffwear booties for our dog. I was impressed at how well they stayed on her paws.
booties.jpg

Steve

Member III
Just a plug for the little guys

My wife and I sail with our little brown toy poodle. She's light enough (5 lbs) that the deck doesn't bother her paws, if anything we worry she could slid over the side if not careful but that hasn't occurred because the dog is amazingly coordinated.

On a side note -She's trained not to awaken us with the morning customs, rather we use a "potty (puppy) pad" laid under the table. Once soiled you throw out and start over new, nice, if you finally do go a shore she will do her thing there as well. I vowed not let the dog rule us, this is a great trick.

Steve e35-3

Attachments

• DCP_2391.jpg
    DCP_2391.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 84
  • DCP_2398.jpg
    DCP_2398.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 101

captain186

Big Dogs

We sail with two large Bouviers on Grand Lake. We have found a boarding ramp sold at Pets Smart with two large floats. It works from the dock to the water. However, from the lake onto the boat it is a man overboard drill and not easy. Keep trying boating with the dogs is great fun.

Denise

u079721

Contributing Partner
The hands down funniest thing I have ever read about boating had to do with toilet training a boat dog. The owner of one sailboat was eager to teach his dog to be able to relieve himself while still aboard, so that he could make passages of more than 8 hours in length. He tried everything to no avail. He finally heard about using a square of astro turf on the side deck as being enough of a "lawn" mimic to get the dog to go. You would tie the square to the boat with a length of line, and just throw it overboard to clean once it was soiled.

But still the dog would not get the hint.

Finally in total desperation the owner resorted to demonstrating to the dog just what he wanted the dog to do by himself defecating on the piece of astro turf.

I'm not sure exactly how the whole thing turned out, but I just can't get beyond the mental image of a dog watching in horror as his master squats down and does his thing on deck. If you were a dog would you want to touch that piece of astro turf in the future?