• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Spiders

Gary Peterson

Marine Guy
I would like to know from the the greatest group of boat owners ( Ericsons and Olsons) what people in areas that have spiders do to rid their boat and docks of them. Has to be legal but not necessarly EPA approved !!!
I swear that they are trained to go up masts and seek out spreaders and wind instruments !!
:egrin:

Gary G

Member II
Spider control

We used to be plagued by spiders as well - fat juicy ones that spew green slime when stepped on. A few years ago at someone's recommendation at the harbor I used a household insecticide (Spectracide I think) that comes ready to use in a container that you hook up to a garden hose. I sprayed the boat, the mooring lines, and the surrounding pier. It worked very well - no bugs for several weeks; so well in fact that I did not use it anymore for fear I was adding yet more toxins to the water. Now I keep fabric softener sheets in the cabin and change them a few times each summer and use Hot Shot spider spray every couple of weeks on the sail cover and binnacle cover. I still get some spiders but not the invasion I used to have.

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
This is a problem I was not aware of! :eek:! Are these spider infestations particular to boats in your parts, or do they show up in cars, house, garages, boots, etc?

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Spiders in Fall...

We see lots of spider activity here every fall - and it's started early this year (now, in August). There are spider webs up all over the place, and they're trying to move indoors, etc...

Some people think it portends a severe winter...

//sse

tenders

Innocent Bystander
It is my experience that spider infestations are a freshwater phenomenon. Growing up on Lake Erie they were abominable. I have never seen so much as one onboard in San Diego, Long Beach, Manhattan, or Long Island Sound.