• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Sea Breeze

Jim Payton

Inactive Member
What do you guys think about Richard Van Pham and the "Sea Breeze"? I looked at the pictures from the msnbc.com web site several times. I don't think its an Ericson, but it could be, I think, maybe. Does anybody know him or the boat?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Similar but not an Ericson...

Not an Ericson -- his boat had wooden hatches. The E-26-1 had frp hatches. Cabin and hull appear to be more like an old Pearson or Alberg design.
I looked at the photos at the 'Lectronic Latitude part of the Lat. 38 site (they have an "almost daily" update part of their fine web site).

http://www.latitude38.com/

Loren

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
I think his story sounds fishy. I can't remember any serious
rain we've had this year much less a storm that would cause
a dismasting as he claims. The photos show a boat in sorry
shape-the kind of deferred maintenance that could lead to
trouble. It looks as though he managed a jury rigged sail yet
was unable to sail it toward a landfall. No flares, no radio, no
floatplan anyone was aware of-he should never have left the dock
in that tub and apparently the Coast Guard determined it was better to sink it than to save it.

Martin King

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Originally posted by Martin King
I think his story sounds fishy. I can't remember any serious
rain we've had this year much less a storm that would cause
a dismasting as he claims. The photos show a boat in sorry
shape-the kind of deferred maintenance that could lead to
trouble. It looks as though he managed a jury rigged sail yet
was unable to sail it toward a landfall. No flares, no radio, no
floatplan anyone was aware of-he should never have left the dock
in that tub and apparently the Coast Guard determined it was better to sink it than to save it.

Martin King

I concur that it looks as though he should have been able to make way under some sort of sail.

OTOH, the one time I was on 29 foot sloop that lost its mast we were sailing to weather in about 15 kts of wind, up the Washington coast, about 3 miles off shore in moderate seas. A lower broke inside of the swage and the other lower instantly broke its toggle and let go. The mast hairpinned and went over the side. All this happened in a micro-second...

One moment I was driving along looking forward at the horizon and the working jib, and the next instant there was a loud bang and there was no jib blocking my view any more...(!)
And then things got verrrrry quiet as we stopped and rolled gently with the long Pacific swells.
:(

From the looks of the guy's boat, Neptune only knows how old and shot the rigging was when he set out...
:)

Loren in PDX

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
The story in the New York Times this morning reported that he woke up in the moring to find he had been dismasted. He must be a very sound sleeper!

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
My favorite part of the story is that he was found roasting a seagull, yet some of the photographs show several birds sitting on the part of the mast protruding forward of the bow, as though they were waiting to be next. It reminds me of Lewis Carrol's walrus:

"I weep for you," the Walrus said:
"I deeply sympathize,"
With sobs and tears he sorted out
Those of the largest size,
Holding his pocket-handkerchief
Before his streaming eyes.

"O Oysters," said the Carpenter,
"You've had a pleasant run!
Shall we be trotting home again?"
But answer came there none --
And this was scarcely odd, because
They'd eaten every one.