• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Is a second sailboat a little crazy?

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
I am toying with the idea of a small daysailer to mess around with. My wife is not always available to go sailing, I can't always find crew, I can't always get out of the harbor (moon low tide), the E38 is a lot of boat to just take out for an hour or so, etc. So I have been toying with the idea of a small daysailer that is easy to singlehand, cheap (compared to the E38), less hassle, etc. I sorta settled on a small trimaran homebuilt from plans as a winter project. It would also be be pretty fast so I can get my speed freak on when I need to. Demountable, easily stored, easy to rig and operate, shoal draft, stable. So is this a little nuts? Maybe, but I can't quite get the idea out of my head. Any thoughts? RT

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I have a friend that has owned several sail boats, and now has quite a heavy boat for the main "mother ship." Several years ago he found an old Hobie 16 for a few bux and sails it several times a week thruout the summer for a half hour or an hour.
Might be worth considering...
Loren

TwistedLogic

Member II
I recommend owning several boats as long as the maintenance is minimal. A Hobie 14 is a great no maintenance one man boat. I have a couple of Opti prams for those real lazy days. No bigger bummer than not being able to sail for lack of a crew.

treilley

Sustaining Partner
You mean there might be a problem owning more than 1 sailboat????

I have my E35 with a CD10 I use as a tender/anchorage sailer. I also own a 1955 Rhodes 18 daysailer and 2 windsurfers. I used to have a Hobiecat 16 but I did not use it as often as I would have liked. I bought the Rhodes for lake sailing and so my brothers could teach their kids to sail.

Dave Hussey

Member III
I've been thinking of a second sailboat too. What does the E-community recommend for a sailing dinghy that could double as the tender behind my E27? I prefer the standard Bermuda rig. Bonus if a jib can be carried...but not a "wet" boat like Laser...too technical and too wet. :egrin:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I've been thinking of a second sailboat too. What does the E-community recommend for a sailing dinghy that could double as the tender behind my E27? I prefer the standard Bermuda rig. Bonus if a jib can be carried...but not a "wet" boat like Laser...too technical and too wet. :egrin:

Being as how you are in the Puget Sound area, how 'bout a Ranger 11 or an old Hawthorn? Maybe even a Gig Harbor. Over the years we have owned a couple of the Rangers. We used to tow an R-11 behind our Niagara 26. Rows like a dream and sails very well -- reportedly the smallest commissioned design that Ray Richards ever did.

Loren in PDX

Last edited:

Rob Hessenius

Inactive Member
2nd Boat

RT- I own a E25 that I just love. Im kinda thinking that I want a 30+ for Great Lakes cruising. Do what you feels right to you. I always hoped that I would never need to sell the 25 to finance the larger yacht, I wont. Rob Hessenius

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
more toys

When I bought the E29 I sold the Neptune 24. I still have the Hobie 14 I started with and have a Hobie 16 the Hobies are for the 40 acre lake I live on. If you can handle the necessary expense of a second boat you can justify it as men should do everything we have “I WANT IT” always works for me.

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Well, its nice to see that I am not completely mad or at least I am in good company......;) Technically we already own a second sailboat, my wifes Sunfish that she used to race. I like the Sunfish, grew up on them but too wet and requires perfect conditions to really be out on the bay with it. I think I am going to go for a Warren 23 trimaran and scratch build from plans. Should be fun. Thanks for all the input. RT

Sailsteve

A Hearty YES to a second boat!

11 years ago after owning cruising boats for 20 years my kids decided that they didn't want to go sailing as much as I did. We sold our Beneteau 30 in the spring. By mid summer I was a broken man, and decided I had to have something so I bought a J-24. For five years my friends and I raced her on Wednesday nights and my wife and I took out the occasional friends for the obligatory Sunday afternoon boat ride around the Sound. But we missed cruising a lot. So, when I saw an ad in SOUNDINGS for an E-36RH six years ago I went head on to buy the boat. For the past six years I've been an "Admiral" with my own fleet. The J-24 and the Ericson are a big part of my life and I would be troubled to lose either one. I moor both boats at a club. The J-24 costs are some times helped by the guys on the crew, but for the most part the expense of it all is the biggest detriment to the whole thing. I love it. I can sail the J-24 with friends or alone, and my wife and I can sail the big boat nicely together. In short, I heartily recommend a second boat.

Steve

Bill Upchurch

Member II
Two Boats

I have two boats, actually three if you count the Zodiac. My brother and I have an Ericson 35 II #203 and my Grandson and I have a Cal 20 #211.
Because the boats have specific uses and characteristics, I can justify having them. We keep the Ericson in a slip at a club and the Cal in dry storage at the same club. The Zodiac is out of the water on the finger next to the Ericson. We sail all year here in Los Angeles and because they are all pretty handy to use I enjoy them greatly and am a big proponent of multiple boat ownership. (helps the economy too) Also if you are often in a quandry about what to do with your disposable income, owning boats will solve that problem.

Bill Upchurch

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
We sail all year here in Los Angeles and because they are all pretty handy to use I enjoy them greatly and am a big proponent of multiple boat ownership. (helps the economy too) Also if you are often in a quandry about what to do with your disposable income, owning boats will solve that problem.

Bill Upchurch

Hahahahahaha! I think I could bankroll the economy of some third world countries with what I "spend" into boating! I gotta laugh because if I didn't I might cry. RT

sleather

Sustaining Member
I just learned my old CAL 21('74-'85) is up for sale again! I've known every owner, 3 after me. Taught 2 of them HOW to sail.

That boat was rigged to the max & sooooo easy to tow, less than 2,000#ready to go, anywhere????????????????????????????????

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
Rob,
If you have two boats, does that qualify as a "fleet?' Does that make you an Admiral?:rolleyes:

About 4 years ago, when we bought our E-33, we still had our E-29 & it took me about 3 months to sell her. In the meantime, all the guys on the dock who knew of my dilema in paying two slip fees and double maintenence, laughed at me for my "fleet!" I got no sympathy and no respect! Oh, well. Go for it.

Quiet Magic

Member II
Glad to hear im not alone!

Between me and my dad we own 5 boats. My dad owns a 14 foot alumacraft, a precision 23 and an ericson 27. I own an 8 foot inflatable dinghy that we keep on the ericson and a hobie cat 18. i will have to say though that some of the boats do get neglected. since lake mille lacs is so low we havent touched our ericson since may! but it is nice to have a smaller boat thats easier to trailer because though the ericson fits on a trailer, it is no where near being a trailerable boat!

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
How many is enough?

I thought we were talking sailboats only. I once read a sign in front of a boat dealer that said “life is better if you own a boat” and thought how good I must have it.

Kayak, 16 foot fishing boat, Hobie 14, Hobie 16, Mastercraft 19’ and E29

Boy do I have it good if I just had time to use them.

FullTilt E28

Member III
Many boats

Some how one boat spawns more.

I now have a 86 E28- a 1995 Ultimate 20 (wife and I double hand it/race it) -- we have a 9ft wood boat my wife's dad built when he was a kid - one day I'll get it set up and use it. The E28 came with a 9ft Avon.

The U20 is a kick in the pants easy to single hand and double hand- fast and fun! Yet stable and forgiving. The e28 is our party boat/cruiser. The U20 and E28 together are still less out of the pocket than our friends large racing boats with no interior. So far so good.