• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

My first......E25

mgray003

Member II
I found this website about a week ago and have been reading comments in the forum. My thanks to those responsible for maintaining the site. I think it will be very benificial to me. I have owned boats (fishing and pleasure boats) all of my adult life, but I've never owned a sailboat, never been on one.....never even thought about it.
About two years ago, my wife and I moved to a home on a lake in Northwest Arkansas. The view from our home overlooks an area of the lake near a very active sailing club. We regularly see the boats coming from the club area (known as sailboat cove) heading toward open water. It's always exciting to see the sailboats.....and finally my wife and I decided this is something we have to experience for ourselves.
We purchased our Ericson 25 almost 2 weeks ago. We have quite a trip to pick her up, and to this point I've been working with the marina where she is stored, to have the trailer made ready for travel....bearings checked/replaced/packed, etc. It may be 2 more weeks before I get to bring her home. I'm sure I will have questions for anyone willing to help, as I have a lot to learn.

Last edited:

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Congrats & Welcome

Welcome and congrats! You've made good choices already: sailing and an Ericson! :egrin:

See if that local club offers lessons, and you'll find an entirely new world! Sailboats are very maneuverable (compared to power) and are quiet, etc - very relaxing...

Please post often - and put up an image of your boat so we can cheer you guys on!

//sse

ps: Thanks for the compliments on the site - it's appreciated!

Emerald

I think you'll find it a blast. I have power boat friends who've basically said, "how can sailing be fun when you typically are only going 5-6 knots?" I explain, and then try to demonstrate via a sail, that there's nothing quite like that feeling of harnessing the wind to move the boat, and she comes alive in a way a power boat doesn't, and while it might not be "fast"compared to a power boat, it actually is. I have yet to have anyone disagree after a sail :egrin:

Welcome and Hello,
I puchased a E25 last fall, and have yet to get her into the water as I am behind on some repairs, refurbishing and detailing that she needs. Can't wait to hear what you have to say about your experiences, as I'm new to this too. Though my wife is a regular on the lake with a San Juan 21.
Have Fun, Chris

Rob Hessenius

Inactive Member
E25

Congradulations on your new endeaver. You will soon found out about how nice of a boat you bought. There are a handful of 25'ers that have rehabed them and are sure to help you along the way. Please dont worry because there are no stupid questions. We are all still there. I am afraid of the day that I stop learning. This is a GREAT site with TONS of resources and lots of useful tidbits in the archives. There are many systems on your boat that were used on other sizes too, so become familiar with the whole family of Ericson boats.
I too have a E25CB, 73' and have done lots of work, including recently a trailer addition. If you need info on how I built mine I would gladly send you some stuff. Again we are happy that you found us and will look forward to assisting you in anyway we can. Rob Hessenius

mgray003

Member II
Thanks

Thanks much to all who have replied with welcomes. I'm grateful to find some other 25er's, too. I'm sure that I do not completely understand what I've gotten myself into...but I'm excited to find out.
Thanks,
Mike

TwistedLogic

Member II
Welcome and congratulations on your purchase. I have admired Ericsons since the early 70's and finally got my own 23-2 three years ago. The more I sail and work on the boat, the more I am impressed with it.
My power boat friends also wonder how I can stand going so slow. My favorite come back is "exactly where are you going?" I heard a great quote that power boating is all about the destination and sailing is all about the voyage. Might as well do it on the best!:)
Welcome

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
Welcome!
I will never forget the day I sailed my E-29T to a top speed for the day of 3.2 knots Left the sailing club and came home to ride a personal water craft (lake lice as I call them) at 70 MPH on my ½ mile long lake and compared to the sailing it was boring. IF you like sailing there is nothing like it. From a controlled drift to a hard blow it's all fun.

Good luck and enjoy the boat.

mgray003

Member II
I got her home (2000 miles round trip), in the water, with mast up....thanks to 4 or 5 helpful members of my local sailing club. It was a chore, but very much worth it. The most knowlegable volunteer to help told me he brokers sailboats as a side business. He inspected my 1977 25er closely, offering comments and explaining where things are, what things are for....what I should do with them, etc. After close inspection, he said the interior of my boat is cleaner and in better shape than most 10-yr old sailboats when he gets them. That was great to hear.
I have lots to do & lots to learn. I will have questions. Thanks in advance,
Mike

Last edited: