• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Mainsheet System

Fosters

Call it a mid-life crisis, but I have decided to get back into some club racing on my 1987 E 26. One of my major concerns has always been the Main sheet System and specifically, it's inability to really flatten the main under load. As it came from the factory, the mainsheet runs through a cam cleat on the stbd cabin top to a block at the base of the mast and then to a series of blocks that are attached mid -boom with a 4:1 set up, which terminates at the traveler car/Traveler which is cabin top just aft of the hatch.

When one is just out for a day sail, it is probably no big deal to pop the sheet out of the cleat and/or pull the sheet to sheet in the main, but , under load, when you are really wanting to flatten the main or have better and faster control over the main( when Jibing) then this system is inadequate.

Question: Has anyone retro'd this system and if so how? Or, has anyone added an additional set of blocks further out towards the end of the boom to give better control/purchase to the main sheet? I am considering the latter, because I don't want to install a Traveler in the cockpit....open to suggestions!

Thanks!

Steve Foster
Larrikin