• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Tiller attachment

Jim Payton

Inactive Member
I have a noticable amount of movement in the tiller at the point of attachment. I have 1967 E26. I disassymbled the brass attachment and could really find nothing that looked unusual, but then again I've never taken one apart before so I really don't know what is right or wrong. All I know is that it seems to wiggle enough to make me uneasy. Does anyone know what sort of preventive maintenance should be preformed on this mechanism.

zarbock

Jim, I experienced the same behavior on my E27. There are three potential sources of tiller play that I identified:

The brass "H" tiller fitting was not tight at the top of the tiller post. I had a machine shop run a bead around the inside of the fitting, then filed smooth. That was a good thing.

The cap at the top of the rudder post should be held tight by a bolt. I replaced the existing corroded bolt, then cranked it down with a lock washer. That was also a good thing. If you do this note that the through bolt on the cap should remain in place.

These two actions took care of most of the action. The only other source of wiggle (assuming your rudder is secured to the stock) is up and down play through the cockpit sole. I'm sure that a shim could be installed, if needed, but I wanted to maintain adequate clearance between rudder and hull.

While doing these things I took the down-time opportunity to refinish the tiller with Epiphanes gloss vanish - that was a really good thing. Good luck.

Hans
Hedgehog E27 '76