• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Engine Vibrations

George

I was wondering if anyone has had noticeable engine vibration at the mid (1800 - 2200) rpm ranges? I have an 87 34 with the Universal 24. I have had the engine alignment checked and everything looks ok. I don't run the engine but a short distance when we go out, but it is enough noise to be annoying.

Thanks

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
There seems to be a point when sympathetic vibrations reinforce each other enough to become annoying. I just adjust the throttle enough so that the vibrations are minimized. Also, I understand that a two bladed prop like mine causes more vibration than a three bladed prop - not exactly sure why - has something to do with the way the tip interacts with the hull as it passes. In my case, I also do not think there is sufficient tip clearance with the hull (supposed to be something like 10 or 15 percent of the prop diameter) which also contributes to vibration. However, dimensions on the 32-3 are tight and I have already had my MaxProp reduced in diameter (by MaxProp) so there is nothing left to do (AFIK).

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
You quite likely have the M25XP, a 3 cylinder. I find that mine has similar behavior -- as do all other brands of small diesel I have been around. Since the factory reccommends cruising it at around 2600, you may want to try this and see if it smooths out. Ours gets very smooth at 2800, but I get nervous at running it so fast...
Loren
1988 Olson 34

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
I wonder if it is the engine itself. If I run mine (Universal M25) without putting it in gear, it is smooth as silk. It's only when the prop turns that there is any vibration.

George

I don't recall ever running the engine at that high a RPM (2800) before and I agree I would be a little uneasy doing it for any great length of time. I will try the engine in idle and see if that does the trick. I noticed various threads on replacing the two blade prop with a 3 blade, I still have the orginal two blade. And it is the Universal M25 not 24 <typo>.

thanks again

andy beach

Member I
I too have a E-34 with the Universal M25XP.I just had the boat hauled and had the shaft zincs changed.I used a different brand then the one's I had used previously.They didn't seem quite as bulky,a little more streamlined.I couldn't believe the difference in vibration.It's much smoother now. There was nothing left of the old zincs so maybe that was causing a greater vibration that I hadn't noticed over time.But I have to think it runs a lot smoother than I ever remember before.You might try it next time you change zincs.

Ed Balun

Member I
Engine Vibration

I have an E-32-3 (1987) with a 3-cyl 21 horse as well. My normal rpm is around 1800-1900. This is with a 3 blade prop. I have a vibration at 1300-1700 rpm. The engine has been aligned, the strut is ok, and no other problems.. Anybody have any ideas?? Is this just something we are supposed to live with..

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
It seems to me that vibrations increase through the season because of marine growth on the prop - I have my boat cleaned by a diver, but he doesn't seem to get off all the barnacles.