• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Elbows on 1 1/2

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Elbows on 1.5" Discharge Lines

Ok - here's a problem I'm having.

As many of you know, I'm ripping out and replacing my sanitation system. This is all being documented on this website in the owner's section - and you can see photos there of what I'm talking about. This message will also be posted on the Ericson Mail List.

Here's the problem: The existing thru hull set up (for sanitation) on my E35-3 has elbows on the seacocks (see the photos on the site above).

I'm getting ready to install a totally new system in the boat - and want to fix ALL the problems. In discussions with the manufacturers of the hose I've purchased - http://www.tridentmarine.com - they've said that nice sloping turns are preferred - that elbows are trouble. This makes sense, given the solids that will be transiting the hose - and thus, the source of my concern:

Do any of you have elbows on the 1 1/2" discharge thru hulls? If so, has this caused problems? I know there are elbows at the discharge ports on the holding tank itself - but have any of you actually removed or avoided using elbows elsewhere in the system?

Am I being overly concerned about this?

Thanks for your help -

Bob Ells

Member I
Sean, In my experience elbows on thru-hull fittings are not a problem if the discharge is through a macerator pump which is the set-up that I have on my boat. When I got the boat there was some blockage in the elbow at the discharge point on the tank thate is routed to the macerator (it's an 1.5" elbow) I back-flushed it and managed to get it clear and it has been ever since. I also flush the holding tank with clear water every other discharge. The thru-hull from the macerator is actually only .75 to 1.0" I'm not sure which. Hope this helps. Bob Ells

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
So your's is set up with a macerator coming off the discharge on the tank instead of a manual diaphram pump?

I was thinking about that (replacing the pump with a macerator) - that still leaves the elbow at the holding tank (which I guess you cannot avoid). You've not had any more issues with the elbow attached to the tank?

Thanks,