• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Eight legged freaks

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
I have begun to notice spiders (including a quite large one which went for an involuntary swim) on my boat and the gleam of webs off the backstay. Is there an environmentally friendly (other than a gecko) way to get rid of them or should I just set off a bomb this winter?

Jim Payton

Inactive Member
Arachnid

Geoff,
Gosh I hope I spelled your name correctly. I just realized when you click that you want to reply to a post and the screen changes you can't see who it was you were replying to? Any way back to the spiders... most people who spray spiders tend to forget that spiders are not insects, that is they have 8 legs not 6. Today's pesticides are so specific that often what you would spray on an ant may not kill a spider. So if you decide to spray make sure you get a spray that is for spiders (blackflag makes a good one that only kills spiders and usually is harmless to other creatures). I am a licensed pesticide applicator in California and I know these sorts of dumb things. Another option is to use any spray that has "pyrethrin" as its toxin. It will say on the label (by law). Pyrethrin is a natural pesticide that occurs in many plants such as Chrsanthimums.
:cool:
Jim

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
Thanks, I'll look for the Pyrethrin. I'm particularly anxious to use something that is not toxic to two-legged critters like me. PS you did get my name right and, in any event, you can always go back and edit your comments.

Last edited: