• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Mounting Reflector on the Backstay?

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
I'm getting ready to go sailing for a week in the San Juans - can anyone give me a nice, simple overview of how to attach the new Echo Master reflector to my backstay?

//sse

Sean Engle

Administrator
Founder
Ok, so I've got the thing up there now (spent an hour in the harness last night) - just below the upper spreaders on the backstay. But it spins around! How do you lock that thing down?

:confused:

//sse

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
Now that you have done all the work, I thought I would mention that I typically see them hung from the lower spreader with a dual block system (continuous line run through blocks mounted one third and two thirds of the distance between the mast and the spreader tip) so that the reflector will not chafe the supporting line. Here on Long Island Sound fog has not been enough of a problem for me to actually get the thing out of the nav station. I anticipate that if I need it in a pinch (our Summer fog tends to dissipate after a few hours) I can hosit it on a spare halyard tied off to a foward stanchion away from the genoa. However, if you have long lasting fog (and your boat picture on the web site suggests you do), you probably need something more permanent.

Sean Engle

Administrator
Founder
Well, besides fog, we also go out at night here a lot - and we have lots of shipping traffic, tugs/barges, fishing boats, crabbing boats, ferries, and crazy power boaters who run at full speed assuming their radar will pick up whatever they need to see....

So I put it up high (about 35') - so according to the little booklet that came with it, people will be able to 'see' me from about 10-12 miles away....

We also have nasty currents and big tidal changes (10-15') that have to be paid attention to....so I'm just trying to eliminate any potential 'excitement'....

//sse