• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

any overnight cruise ideas?

Jim Payton

Inactive Member
Does anyone have any good ideas for an overnight cruise from Chula Vista Marina in San Diego. I have a older E26 and have been working on getting it ready to sail for the last several months. She has been parked in the same slip for at least 6 years and has never left the slip. After I bought it from the previous live aboard owner I began cleaning her up and getting her ready and have motored and sailed around the bay several times but I have not ventured her out past Point Loma. With the long holiday weekend coming up I thought it my be a good opportunity for an overnight to someplace. Thinking the extra day (3 day weekend) would give me time incase something didn't work. I don't want to venture too far but would like to stretch her a little bit.

Jim

Jim Payton

Inactive Member
Well, I guess you guys either don't have any ideas or your all out sailing. Anyway the weekend went OK. Just me and the Mrs. on board Doldrums. We planned to leave the Chula Vista Marina slip at 8 am Saturday. As the saying goes nothing goes as planned. By the time we got everything stowed and and settled and said our prayers, it was 12 noon when we finally cast off. We motored out of the marina, when we rounded the jetty of the marina we discovered there wasn't much wind. I raised the main anyway and we motored and sailed out of the bay. That takes about 3 hours from Chula Vista Marina. We headed for the San Diego Bouy but only made it as far as bouy #3 right at the edge of the kelp beds and I felt it was too late in the day to sail into the unknown so we turned around and sailed back to Shelter Island boat launch area where we borrowed a mooring for the night. Right along side the main chanel in and out of the bay. Every charter fishing boat gooing in or out during the night made wakes that rocked us all night long. We didn't sleep very well. next morning we left for open sea at 9 am and sailed to the SD bouy turned North and sailed past the Kelp Beds till we could see the Ocean Beach Pier and turned at an angle toward the North side of the Pier. We found the entrance to Mission Bay (easy to find because Sea World Tower lines up with it). We sailed into the bay found Mariner's Cove dropped anchor ( you can anchor for free there for up to 72 hours) stayed one hour raised the anchor and sailed back to SD Bay and on to Chula Vista Marina. We motor/sailed most of the way because winds were unfavorable but Doldrums got her sea legs back. Its the first time she has been in open water for almost 7 years.
Jim

SingPilot

Congrats!

Am always glad to hear when someone takes one of our Plastic Classics back where they belong.... OUT SAILING!

If you ever get up north (Santa Monica Bay) let me know, I can help find a guest slip. Maybe I'll see you out at Avalon this winter..... now that the crowds have gone!

Michael Krebs
1970 E32-134
"Voice of Reason"
Redondo-King Harbor

NGB

Member II
Good Sailing

Thanks for the narrative on your holiday sail. My wife and I are cleaning up an Ericson 28 on Harbor Island and are thinking along the same lines as you. First, a little motoring and sailing in the Bay and then out past the point somewhere. You have given a few things to think about in our planning.

Jim Payton

Inactive Member
Hey!

Welcome NGB,
How fun to find another Erickson owner in the SD Bay. I'm at Chula Vista Marina, way down south. I would love to find a slip at either Shelter or Harbor Island. It would make open water so much quicker. Although, it is a lot of fun to just to sail around and relax on the south side of the bridge, but from Chula Vista it takes about an hour just to make it to the bridge, depending on the wind speed and direction. Two things keep me from looking seriously for a new slip in the north. Time and Money. Not necessarily in that order. Anyway, hope to see you in the bay some time. I think I have a picture of my boat posted somewhere on this site, but I can't remember just now where??? I use this site a lot to educate myself on a lot of different areas of sailing from riging to repair. I love logging on just to read what others are talking about and to get ideas on just about anything including phylosophy of the sea and her mysterious tug on many an old salty's heart.
Welcome Aboard,
Jim

NGB

Member II
Thanks for your welcome. I appreciate where we are and hope to stay here. Right now it is only guaranteed through early next year.
NGB

Jewel

Member II
Hi! We have an Ericson 28+ docked at CYM Chula Vista. I guess we are almost neighbors. Mission Bay is a good destination from CV. We stayed at Mariner's Cove for 3 days over the 4th of July. Awesome fireworks! La Playa cove (on the backside of Shelter Island) is a good destination also but you have to apply for a (free) permit early. We are going to anchor there on Friday and Saturday after Thanksgiving. From La Playa sailing into the ocean is a piece of cake and is a good starting point for whale watching for those of us in the South Bay. Another longer destination is CV to Mission Bay, Mission Bay to Oceanside, Oceanside to Dana, Dan to Catalina and then home after a couple days on a mooring at Avalon.

Dan & Julie :egrin: