• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Sudden Bilge Crud

ccorcoran

Member II
We own a 1987 E34. Until a recent outing with seven people in the cockpit (some in the 250 lb + range), our bilges were realtively clean (at least you could see the bottom of the bilge when water was present). As we were motoring back from the sail, I noticed that the stern was very low with the exhaust burbling in the water. A week later, we returned to the boat and routinely checked the bilges to discover a black sooty substance throughout with an exhaust/sulfur odor. The sponges that we keep in the bilge were partially eaten away and were totally black. A quick check of the engine/trans and pan revealed no leaks or irregularities. A former E35 owner said he had once experienced a similar set of circumstances and here's what he discovered -- with a lot of weight in the cockpit, the stern was low and his rudder post stuffing leaked; the leaking water ran through the bilge (especially under the engine) and carried all the old crud into the bilge. This explanation seems reasonable enough; however, I'm not sure it accounts for the black sooty substance in the bilge. We haven't had any additional bilge goo since (however, we haven't taken her out in a few weeks). Long story short, I'd like to tap the combined wisdom of this forum to see if there are any other ideas about this problem.

Thanks,

Chris

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
I think the problem with your friends theory is that the Ericson of your (our) vintage has a separate bilge under the engine with a pvc pipe connecting the transom space with the bilge, the purpose being to keep engine oil from entering the bilge. Unless this pvc pipe is cracked on your boat, engine crud should remain in place and any water entering the rudder post should go "under" the engine bilge. My only alternate theory is that - at least on my 32-3 - there is a bilge cavity deeper than the one under the sole just forward of the mast. Because the bilge pumps never reach it, it could be a crud accumulator that decided to empty into the bilge under the sole when you over-populated your cockpit. I would poke around some more. The sulfur odor could have come from stagnant seawater, like the smell on first flushing the head after a week or so.

Ray Rhode

Member III
Chris,

I don't know about the sulphur smelling black sooty substance but I do know that a leaking rudder packing can admit a lot of water. I had that problem and it only occured when we were moving fast enough for the stern wave to climb the stern. I my case the stuffing fitting had separated from the post and was turning with the shaft. I suspect someone ( the PO) had over tightened the stuffing nut in order to stop a leak and it bound up the shaft. Next time he turned the wheel the mechanical advantage was sufficient to break the fitting loose.

It sounds like you may also have an exhaust system leak. If the stern wave rises above the exhaust thru hull then the exhaust may be forced out of a small leak in the exhaust plumbing. Without that extra back pressure the exhaust system may work fine.

Ray