• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E28 Oil Dipstick

GMaurer

Member II
The dipstick on my E28 (Universal M12 diesel) is difficult to read - looks like it tangled with a grinding wheel and lost.
The bottom tip of the otherwise circular stick has a very short flattening, and about midway (the stick is only about 8" long) there is another unfinished flattening about an inch long.
Otherwise, there are no marks on the stick at all.
The engine manual calls for 1.5 qt. of oil.
Does anyone know where the correct indication is for 1.5 qt?

rbonilla

"don't tread on me" member XVXIIIII
1985 E28 Universal oil dipstick question.......

The dipstick on the factoru universal two banger is a odd shape with two
right angles...I am having a hard time getting it back in proper...

It looks like it goes in the starboard side.....and, at a right angle?...can't
see the hole....very poor design....anyone notice / wrestle with this? do folks
use a mirror or something to assist ?...thanx.....

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
Dip designed stick

You can't get it in or out without a bit of contortion. Out is a bit easier since precision is not necessary. In, is a bit more difficult. Use a flashlight to locate the barely visible hole in the block. Then try to position one hand by the hole while manipulating the stick with the other. After poking the locating hand a few times you should be able to grab the tip and guide it. Of course I have skinny hands, that helps.

Pat O'Connell

Member III
5411 Oil Change

Hi Respected Sailors
Wow. The 5411 uses only 2.2 quarts and I thought that was not very much oil. We drilled a hole in the deck of the rear berth right over the dipstick. That helps a lot. We just pick up the corner of the cushion and remove a little plate in the berth deck and the dipstick comes right out for a oil check. Going back in still a hassle even after about 64 oil changes. Very hard to get a good measure after the first removal. The oil flows up in the tube and the dipstick reads more oil than it should. If there is a trick to getting a better reading I would like to know about it. Best time to check the oil seems to be before you start the engine. When returning to the mooring we need to wait awhile.
Pat O'Connell
1981 E 28+ Universal 5411
Chips

Pat O'Connell

Member III
5411 Oil Change

Hi Respected Sailors
Ahhh. I should have searched. Post from years ago says "remove oil fill cap to equalize pressure. then dip the stick" Thanks I can try it in April! Now, back to the leaf piles.
Pat
1981 E28+

sailingjazz

Member II
So, I have an M-12 and agree that the dipstick could be in a better place. Not sure it's the right thing but before I launched the boat the first time, I changed the oil including filter. Then, added 1.5 Qt. of oil. After a brief run, I pulled the dipstick and noted the position of the oil on the stick. On my stick there is are two lines and the oil was just at the top one. In any event, that is where I keep it (although I've never had to add any between changes). I change the oil at the beginning and middle of each season. Over time I seem to have developed muscle memory and just blindly aim the stick when putting it back in and haven't had much trouble. I check it before every cold start (a hold over form my days farming in my youth where my diesel experience comes from) which means I check it 4-5 times per week in season.

I did replace the diesel part of my unit last winter. The injector pump was leaking (about $600) and when I checked the compression on one cylinder was borderline and the other was well below spec. I priced a new unit and that looked like $12,000 - $16,000 all in. The local diesel shop was estimating $5000 to rebuild the old motor. I found a guy in Tenn. that was selling Kubota pulls that were supposed to be low hours and within spec for around $1100. After a lot though and realizing that I wasn't sure how long I would own the boat I decided to buy one of his units.

When I got the unit it really looked very good. I disconnected my old unit and pulled it into the cabin. My marina crained it out and set it in their shop. I loaded it in my truck and took it home. Over the winter I tore my old engine down (removed all the 'marine' stuff) and transferred it to the pulled unit. It really wasn't much of a job. I took a lot of care, time, and new gaskets in the process. When I had it all back together, I trucked it back up the the marina and the marina staff put it back in my cabin. I pushed it back into position and hooked it up (replacing all the wiring in the process). At launch she started right up (after a thorough bleeding) and ran just great all season with noticeably easier starts, more power, and all old overheating issues gone. I still have the old engine and am thinking I should rebuild it as my winter project for this year. I was worried about the pulled engine but in the end I couldn't be happier with how everything went at about 1/3 the cost of the next best option.

The point of the story is that the Universal M-12 is a Kubota Z430 engine used in the Kubota G4200 garden tractor and parts can be purchased at your local Kubota dealer for a fraction of the cost of Universal parts. So, you could also just order a new dipstick for your motor from Kubota.

rbonilla

"don't tread on me" member XVXIIIII
thank you all for the useful comments and tips.....esp, removing the oil cap to let pressure
get even........b4 checking oil level.....:egrin: