• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Ericson 32 propellor question

pwinick

I am trying to buy a 1975 Ericson 32 with an Atomic 4 30hp engine. Speed under power is not what it should be and my surveyor questions the choice of propellor. Does anyone have a view about what the correct propellor choice is for this boat/engine combo. Help! Thanks, Paul

JIm Weatherbie

For what its worth... I just bought an ERY32521M77B. Among other things the prop was a question that I brought up when I was doing maintenance in drydock this month...
The boat originally came with a 2 bladed prop which was replaced with a 3 bladed prop by the former owner. From previous experience I didn't like the effect of the pressure exerted on the rudder by the 3 bladed prop. So, before changing out the 3 blade to a two blade I consulted with Willmington propellor service in Willmington, Ca. They said "if your going to do any long haul motoring, and if you want control and maneuverability docking and what have you, the 3 bladed prop is the only way to go...
Jim Weatherbie

pwinick

Jim--THe boat I'm lookinig at has a 3 blade prop that is 5 x 7.05. It was also put on to replace a two blade, for the same reasons that youwere given. What my surveyor found was that with the three blade the boat still didn't seem to have the speed he expected. Do you happen to know the size and pitch of the three blade on your boat, or along the way did you see a spec for the "correct" prop for an E32 w/Atomic 4 motor. I'm trying to decide if I should eliminate the prop as a prospective cause of my underpower problem. Paul