• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Cross Florida intercoastal Bridge height

windsmaker

Can an e38 with a mastheight 54' make it through the bridges across the intercoastal across florida?
I understand that at the 49' limit bridge, a tilting service is available but can a 54 mast get through? :cool:

rgoff

Member III
There's an article in the March issue of Cruising World on the Gulf Intracoastal Waterway. It mentions that there is a vertical clearance limit (water to top of mast) of 49 ft on the Okeechobee Waterway. Doesn't mention any "tilting service" (whatever that is).

Guys,
There is a vertical lift bridge on the Okeechobee Waterway just east of Port Myakka. It's owned by a sugar company. Anyway, the people at Indiantown Marina, a mile or so east of the bridge, put plastic barrels on the side of the boat and then pump water into them, heeling the boat over and putting the boat through on the diagonal. Once through the bridge, they pull the plugs on the barrels, which then empty and everything is back to normal. The tactic is known as "The Okeechobee Limbo." It works on most boats. Won't work on Morgan Out Islands, though, because they are too beamy and won't tilt enough. These people are experienced and know their stuff. Call first.
Morgan Stinemetz

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
Sohcahtoa predicts you'll have to be heeled 25 degrees to get your masthead 49 feet off the water.

cos (heel angle) = 49/54

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
When I was kid I went through there in my father's yawl. He sent me to the masthead to take down the windex and vhf antenna. We barely squeezed through... I have wanted to know the height of my 38 and now do if you say its 54'. Sounds about right. Anyone else confirm that?

Okay just found this looking into the questions:

http://www.uscg.mil/hq/g-o/g-opt/Clearance.htm#42

it says 55' for all of the okeechobee...

Last edited: