• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

8 bells for a friend

mark reed

Member III
I'm pretty torn up this week. On Monday, a good friend died of a heart attack, aboard his sailboat (a Bristol Channel Cutter, not an Ericson) while cruising in Mexico. I take heart from the fact that he was out there doing what he wanted to do, but I grieve for his partner who is left behind with the boat and her memories. I'll be heading down next week to help her take the boat to dry storage.

A couple of lessons here for me:
1. to get out and enjoy as much time as I can doing what I love, before its too late, and
2. to look into getting an AED (automated external defibrillator) for the boat. Ironically, my friend believed in going simple and light, but one of these might have saved his life.

Latitude 38 kindly ran this story for my friend: http://www.latitude38.com/LectronicLat/2007/0307/Mar14/Mar14.html#anchor433533

Mindscape

Member III
Condolences

So sorry Mark. Everyone should take a lesson as you said and get out and enjoy the people and things they love.

SAILSHIGH

Member III
Hows the sailing in heaven...

Mark,

My father was taken in an instant and loss has always effected me deeply. I always find solace in the saying about each man being a piece of the continent. The loss of the person making each one of us the less for it. Even though we did not know the man his passing is a loss because of what we missed in not knowing him.

Boat Drinks to the ones who left before us,