• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Son Of A Sailor

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Son Of A Sailor,
Here are some shots of the guy who taught me to sail. My Dad who will be 83 next month. Dad's the guy in the white sweater. He's sailing with a buddy who used to be a broker for Pacific Sea Craft in the south Puget Sound near Olympia where Dad lives. This is as you can see a wood boat close to 100 years old. Dad said it was very tender and only had enough room below for one person to lay down. He also said it had a little diesel and a kerosene heater. Glad I don't own that boat. It looks like a full time job.

I guess the name of the boat is Kelpie. I am sure Popeye must have been the previous owner.

Attachments

• Dad1.jpg
    Dad1.jpg
    289.7 KB · Views: 60
  • Dad2.jpg
    Dad2.jpg
    231.4 KB · Views: 72
  • Dad3.jpg
    Dad3.jpg
    270.5 KB · Views: 87
  • Kelpie2.jpg
    Kelpie2.jpg
    287.4 KB · Views: 78

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
FWIW, "Kelpie" is a famous Fife design, in England, built in 1903, per at least one web site about historic vessels.
Another site has a half model of same, but the bow is different than the boat pictured...
:confused:

That narrow woodie sure *looks* like a British yacht design of that period, though.

Beautiful photos, and thanks for sharing. Sailing could be said to be "in your blood!"
:)

Best,
Loren

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Thanks for looking Loren and sharing your knowledge of the name. I have to ask my Father the next time I talk to him: Who and how did they get that shot from the bow? Was it a telephoto shot or was some one perched on the end of that long bow sprit?

Dad owned four boats over the course of his life. First a wooden trailer boat he towed from the east coast to Santa Barbara right after WWII, then a 16' Tiberon we sailed on Lake Shasta and Whisky Town lake in Northern California. Then in 1966 he bought a brand new Islander 33, flush deck we sailed all over the sound and San Juan's. After all five of his kids moved out he bought a brand new 1976 Bayfield 25 that he ultimately singled handed to Alaska and back when he retired in 1992 - 1994. Mom won't let him have another boat at this point so he crews with me when ever we both have the time.

Son Of A Sailor.

rbonilla

"don't tread on me" member XVXIIIII
cool thread Jeff...I too, am the son of a sailor...my dad
dragged us kids out on sailboats for years...the ericsons
were bought and sold...and enjoyed.... thanx dad !!....

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Here's a few more shots of my Dad in action.

Here's a few more shots of my Dad when I joined him on his Bayfield 25 in Alaska in 1992. We had some weather as you can see.

Attachments

• HellinAlaska1.jpg
    HellinAlaska1.jpg
    266.2 KB · Views: 56
  • HellinAlaska2.jpg
    HellinAlaska2.jpg
    239.1 KB · Views: 71
  • HellinAlaska.jpg
    HellinAlaska.jpg
    270.5 KB · Views: 71

rbonilla

"don't tread on me" member XVXIIIII
just listened (for the 100th time, or so)...the Jimmy Buffett song "sn of a sailor"...not bad......on the right stereo system......"somewhere over china" sounded pretty good too.....:devil:

Son Of A Sailor,
Here are some shots of the guy who taught me to sail. My Dad who will be 83 next month. Dad's the guy in the white sweater. He's sailing with a buddy who used to be a broker for Pacific Sea Craft in the south Puget Sound near Olympia where Dad lives. This is as you can see a wood boat close to 100 years old. Dad said it was very tender and only had enough room below for one person to lay down. He also said it had a little diesel and a kerosene heater. Glad I don't own that boat. It looks like a full time job.

I guess the name of the boat is Kelpie. I am sure Popeye must have been the previous owner.