• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Celebrity Sailors?

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
I was talking to a fellow sailor the other day and we were trying to list all the Celebrity Sailors we knew of. Here what we came up with. Anyone know of any others?

John F. Kennedy
Bob Seger
Warren Zevon
Christopher Cross
Davis Crosby
Walter Cronkite
Jimmy Buffett
Ed Bradley
John Ford
Popeye The Sailor Man

Last edited:

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Speaking of English men.

Thanks,

Speaking of English men, here's something interesting from a old Rolling Stone article:

"In the summer of 1980, John Lennon abruptly decided that he and Ono would resume recording. Ono had sent him on a sailboat trip to Bermuda, but a three-day storm had made the captain and the boat's two deckhands sick. Lennon was forced to steer the ship for a night, keeping it on course as waves lashed at him. He sang sea chanteys and Beatles songs as he held the wheel tight. "I arrived in Bermuda," he said. "Once I got there, I was so centered after the experience at sea . . . all these songs came to me." He called Ono back in New York. It was time, he said, for them to make a new pop record together. In August, Lennon and Ono entered Manhattan's Hit Factory and produced a duo album, Double Fantasy."

treilley

Sustaining Partner
:scared: :scared: :scared: I heard a story years ago about David Crosby buying his boat, Mayan. I guess he either didn't have all the money or thought the price was too high but he started a rumor around the docks that the boat was haunted. Soon the price began to drop and he was able to buy the boat.

Simon Lebon(of Duran Duran fame)(ashamed to know this one)
Larry Ellison(of course)
Jeremy Irons
Elton John(I think, rumor was that his boat was in Portland last season)

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Oh yeah I forgot about Simon, Not sure what's scarier, the Crosby story or the Duran Duran one.

Elton John?, He must have crew! I guess that's why he's Captain Fantastic.

Rob Hessenius

Inactive Member
Bogart

Bogey was really into it. There is a great read over on sailboatowners.com about the history of his boat Santana. its located in "Ask all Sailors" titled "Bogey". A guy that works for me owns Gary Moore's old boat a Rhodes 27. He has all the paperwork on her, plus lots of great pictures of other celebrities on board. All that I remember was Carol Burnett now. Rob Hessenius

Jim Mobley

Member II
Remember the Teds

Ted Turner & Ted Kennedy

also:
William F. Buckley
Franklin D. Roosevelt, pre-polio
Robert Kennedy

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Right! Wasn't Ted Kennedy's boat "Mary Jo"?

Sorry, could not resist.

I was mistaken about Elton John's boat being in Portland. It was actually Provincetown. We did an overnight race from Marblehead last summer. It had some very extravagant lighting shining up the masts. Very phalic.:devil:

MarkA

Please Contact Admin.
Thin Lizzy

Jeff,

Gary Moore was in Thin Lizzy, some bands nobody's heard of, and then solo.

I can't imagine he's the one who had Carol Burnett on his boat, though.

MarkA

Please Contact Admin.
Geraldo Rivera

Geraldo
Spongebob
Jimmy Buffet
Judge Smails
Jack Sparrow

These are all real people, right?

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
That was Dennis I think.

That was Dennis I think, Cancer got Carl. At least I know Dennis drowned.

Sponge Bob? I thought he lives under the water.

MarkA

Please Contact Admin.
Spongebob

I can tell you don't have kids!

Yeah, Spongebob lives in the water, in a place called "Bikini Bottom" (no shit). He drives boats around on the road down there--usually stinkpots, but occasionally sailboats.

The best shows are when he's watching pron. In stark contrast to his animated world, his tv screen will have actual live footage of sponges spawning. The show cracks me up!

e38sailorman

Member II
Neil Young (of Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young) I think he had a big wooden boat in Port Townsend a few years back.

Sterling Hayden, actor and author, wrote a couple of great books about his trips on his boat (Wanderer??)

hodo

Member III
A friend of mine now owns the X119 that was owned by the older guy on McGiver. Can't think of his name..... I'm older too! It was named PERISTROYKA, and was sponsored by Sharps. I believe it was a cover girl on one of the sail magazines. We did Vic Maui with her. Harold