• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E-23 gets a rave review

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The new (Feb) issue of Sailing arrived today. Very Fine article on the E-23. Lots of input by one of our own, Bob Boe.
There's even a reference to EY.org, as a source of Ericson information.

Way to go!
:egrin:

Loren in PDX

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Both!

The article talks about both models. I expecially liked the way it described the boat as a quality boat with sailing and construction attributes common to more open-water designs rather than the other flimsier trailer sailors of the era.

FWIW, the idea of buying the smallest model of a line of high quality boats has always appealed to me. We did this with our prior boat, a Niagara 26 -- it had the interior woodwork and thoughtful design touches common to the N-31, 35, and the 42.

One this site I note that the E-23 owners seem to really get out and go places, somewhat beyond the cautious limits one might set for a lesser boat of that size.
I can remember when we were shopping for our first sailboat, in the mid 70's. We could not afford an Ericson, but were impressed with the differences when comparing it to typical 22 to 24 foot trailer sailers like the Ventures and Coastal Recreation boats. (Since we wanted some quality, we ended up buying a much smaller Ranger 20, and sailed the socks off of it for five years!)

Best,
Loren

:cheers:

Last edited:

Bob in Va

Member III
Background

Here's a little background to that review of the E23 if anyone is interested: In early December a couple of sailing buddies and I flew down to Ft. Lauderdale and did a several day passage over to the Bimini island group with author/charterer/delivery captain/navigation instructor John Kretschmer aboard his Kaufman 47. We had an absolutely wonderful time and I picked up lots of little tidbits (example: if a knotmeter is reading optimistically, John calls them "broker knots"). Knowing he had written a number of used boat reviews, including at least one on the E35, I asked him why I had never seen one on the E23. I've read in various publications reviews of the E25, 27, and 32, but almost never do you run across a mention of the "little E". He asked me a few questions about my boat (a '76), and I figured that was the end of that thread. But the morning of the day he was to drive us to the airport for the flight back home he returned from an interview on NPR and a stop by his office to say, "Guess what, we're going to do a review of the E23 in the February issue! You need to send me some info just as soon as you get home. Then I'll do some research and put a review together." I did, and he did. Other than a few small detail errors I think it is a dynamite review and finally gives some attention to what I consider is an outstanding design. More good news: look for an article on the 23 in Good Old Boat sometime this next year.

Attachments

• compress1.JPG
    compress1.JPG
    33.5 KB · Views: 272

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Very cool Bob. I still have not seen the article, I don't get Sailing magazine and it hasn't shown up on the local news stands yet.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Good Reads

Sorry to venture off topic a bit, but Sailing has been welcomed in our house since they sent me a free subscription for a year, over 25 years ago -- I was Commodore of a One Design Assoc. at the time and that was their policy.
Nowadays, having dropped Sail and CW (yawn....)
I also subscribe to Practical Boat Owner and Yachting Monthly, both from the UK. Not cheap, but there is more useful info in these in any one month than there was in a year in the two I dropped.
Admittedly, we pick up Lat 38 and 48 North for free at the chandlery every month.

BTW, I wonder how many others of you still miss Small Boat Journal? :boohoo:

All the best,
Loren in PDX

Last edited:

rbonilla

"don't tread on me" member XVXIIIII
nice !! :rolleyes: i am off to the library today to hunt
down a copy ......

Last edited:

rbonilla

"don't tread on me" member XVXIIIII
Hey t here everyone...I have nor been able to find a copy of Sailing for Feb'07...and can't get my hands on this artical...could anyone scan and post a PDF copy? I would love to see and read it...Thanx !!....Richard / colorado
:boohoo:

Rob Hessenius

Inactive Member
E-23 Review

rbonilla- Just send me your address and I will send you the magazine at months end. It wont have the cover, but everything else. Anyone else, I probably will have 6-7 left. If you want it free, no cover, if you want the cover its $5.99. I don't know how to scan and make a pdf file either. Rob Hessenius

Bob in Va

Member III
Help is on the way...

This morning I mailed you a reprint of the article. But do have Rob send you the whole mag too - it's a good issue. And Rob, thanks for the one you sent me, I have enjoyed reading it (and the other one you included) - that was a very thoughtful act. Ready to go racing yet?