• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Catalina Advice

Siltbird

Member I
We're going to Avalon for our first time on Friday, August 9. We're leaving early to get a better shot at a mooring. Should I expect any problems? Everyone I've spoken to doesn't seem to worry about it, but the whole 1st come 1st serve kind of makes me nervous.

Roger

Member II
You've got a much better shot of getting a mooring by arriving on Friday rather than Saturday. There's still a chance that Avalon will be filled up though, in which case you can anchor at nearby Descanso or Hamilton, or head about 4 miles west to Whites Landing where there should certainly be moorings available. Have fun!

Siltbird

Member I
Well...
Being an East Coast sailor, it was quite a different experience from what I've grown up with. My Wife, my Folks and I got to Avalon on Thurs afternoon. All the moorings were full. Go figure. We got a mooring in White's landing for 2 nights. We then motored back to Avalon for dinner and to drop my Folks off at thier hotel. We got a mooring for 2 hours, and then my wife and I went back to Whites for the night. The next morning we got in the dinghy and motored the 4 miles with my 1 1/2 hp Cruise n' Carry. Yep. That's right. We spent the day bopping around the town, had dinner, and took the shoreboat back to White's. The next morning we motored back to Avalon, picked up my folks and the dinghy and headed back. That's when we got the highlight of our trip. About 3 miles out we were surrounded by hundreds of jumping dolphins. It was mind blowing. None of us had ever seen anything like it.

Basically a success, but the things I learned about self-reliance out there were pretty important. On Long Island Sound, you can get a mooring or slip easily in the many harbors. Out here, where there aren't that many places to go, you have to be ready to fend for yourself. I only have 150 ft of rode, so I wasn't sufficiently prepared to drop a hook in the deep waters. Also, the dinghy (and my trusty C'nC) is what saved the weekend.

Next trip will be Two Harbors.

noproblemo2

Member III
TWO HARBORS IS OUR FAVORITE AFTER LABOR DAY IT'S MUCH EASIER TO GET IN AT THE ISLAND, AND REALLY THE BEST TIME OF YEAR IN OUR OPINION MAYBE WE'LL SEE YOU THERE SOMETIME!!!!:egrin: