• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

April '07 "Strictly Sail" show

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Mark your calendars! :D
The 2007 version of "Strictly Sail" is set for April 18 through 22, at Jack London Square, Oakland, CA.

http://www.strictlysail.com/shows/pacific.asp?show=pa

Some of our sailing friends are already booking motel space at the Best Western Inn at the Square, located a few blocks from the show. Our reservation is in for Thursday - Sunday.

How about another Friday dinner get-together? Maybe even a sail on the Bay? We'll even bring the beer!
:cheers:

Loren
Olson 34 Fresh Air

Last edited:

Shadowfax

Member III
This show is in Philadelphia this weekend and we will check it out on Saturday. I'll let you know how it looks.

corkhead

Julian Ashton
I was looking to join a "dinner" or get together last year but the details eluded me. Perhaps we can make clearer plans this year. It would be fun to meet the other EY.org folks. I can host a sail
Julian

Charlie B.

Member II
April 07 Boatshow Restaurant choices

We were also sorry we couldn't have a post-show dinner near Jack London Square. So to help get things started I propose we meet at Chevy's in Alameda just across the water from Jack London Square. There is plenty of parking and they tend to be pretty flexible at adjusting to large groups. How does Friday night sound?

Charlie

PS: I am willing to take people out on the Bay on our Ericson (Olson 34) on the weekend as well.

Guy Stevens

Chevys is closed.

Gone Kaput, no-more, thrown off the mortal coil, departed.... You get the idea.

Good restaurants for this kind of thing are a little sparse near the boat show.....

Let me ask the admiral tonight maybe she has an idea...

Guy
:)

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Are his feet nailed to the perch?

Guy,
Are you sure it's not a Norwegian Blue? Maybe it's just sleeping...
:cool:

Seriously, that is sad news. Kathy and I had a nice dinner there while in the process of boat-shopping and then purchasing our present Olson 34, back in '94.

How 'bout that pizza place adjacent to Jack London Square?

Loren in PDX

Last edited:

Guy Stevens

Couple of options

Yeah that would work.

How many of us is there?

If we are talking 15 people it would be good to get some reservations in place, so the restaurant has a little advanced notice.

Pizza Uno is right there, the service can be abysmal however.

Quinns, and Scotts, are just around the corner too. The food is quite a bit better, but a little more expensive. Quinns has some things that veggies in the group could eat.

http://www.quinnslighthouse.com/ourmenu_images/quinns_main_menu.pdf

http://www.themenupage.com/scottsmenu.html

http://www.waiter.com/cgi-bin/SCMMOS/GetRestaurant.cgi?UNO7

Guy

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
For any of you Alameda area sailors... is there still a TGIFridays (correction: I remember a restaurant that seemed like that chain...) at Jack London Square, too?
Our Portland group met there for a dinner one year, while at the show.
Thanks again for all your help and research.
Loren in PDX

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Restaurant thoughts for April

Upon further reflection...
Tony Roma's might be the place we all ate at. It was real close to the ferry dock to go over to the tourist haunts on the SF waterfront. Looking at their location and map... yup, that might well be the place.

It sure is a shame to lose both Chevy's and the Spaghetti Factory, too.

The area right around Jack London Square must be a real feast-or-famine area to try and run a restaurant. :boohoo:

BTW, I was picked up and taken to Quinns Lighthouse last year one night. Fun place, but far enough to require a vehicle... and it was absolutely *jammed* with diners. :rolleyes:

Soon as we win the Lottery we plan to relocate us and our boat down there in sailing paradise... :D

Let's keep the suggestions coming. It will sure be fun to again visit an ALL Sailboat show. (Nothing like that around here.)

Cheers,
Loren in PDX

Tazman

Member I
Oakland Yacht Club

May I suggest The Oakland Yacht Club (it's in Alameda but don't say anything.) They offer a great dinner on Friday and Saturday nights. Food is good, price are reasonable, bar is fully stocked. Their Sunday brunch is tough to beat. Lots of room, few crowds. It is a tough place to beat.

Charlie B.

Member II
Oakland YC a good choice

The Oakland YC is great choice. Are you a member? Can you make reservations for the group?

I have never had dinner there, but have enjoyed a cocktail or two with the Single-Handed Sailing Group. There is plenty of parking and a great view of Oakland from the other side of the Estuary.

Charlie

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Car Rental thoughts

Anyone have a particular car rental company to laud or warn against? :)
We plan to rent a small vehicle of some sort for the 4 days we are in Oakland. We will be arriving at OAK and staying in the Jack London Square area, April 19 - 22.

Looking forward to the show, dinner out, and hopefully a little sailing time!
:egrin:

Loren in PDX

ps: only been there once, but Oakland YC served us a great dinner. If that's the venue, count us in.

Tazman

Member I
The Oakland YC is great choice. Are you a member? Can you make reservations for the group?

I have never had dinner there, but have enjoyed a cocktail or two with the Single-Handed Sailing Group. There is plenty of parking and a great view of Oakland from the other side of the Estuary.

Charlie

No reservations needed at Oakland Yacht Club. Just show up and be welcomed. I look forward to seeing many of you there. Have a great time at the boat show.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Friday evening at the Oakland Yacht Club... Time? Their web site sez that dinner is served from 6:30 to 8:30. I guess we will try be there at the opening bell....
Any particular dress code? Will asssume a shirt with collar.

I note that their web site has a menu posted -- sounds delicious.

Weather is shaping up to be cloudy with a chance of showers by the weekend.
I wonder if we should pack foulies?

See you all soon.

Loren (and Kathy)
Portland. OR

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Wrap Up

We toured the Oakland show Thurs and Fri.
Only bought a few gee gaws (!) :rolleyes:

We decided that for the cost of new larger "performance cruiser" at over 200K, and more, we wil keep investing $ in our present boat.

The dinner at Oakland YC was great, and at about $15. each, is a good deal for a complete meal, plus the pleasure of looking out on the boats sailing past their picture windows.

Three Olson 34 families present plus two other sailing couples with Portland connections, one now living aboard in Alameda and the other visiting the show like we were.

The OYC commodore made a short presentation with various announcements and welcomed us "Ericson Sailors." The room was reasonably crowded, and I wondered if someone would speak up when we pointed us out, and say "I'm here too!" But no one did.
Were you all there and we missed you somehow? :confused:

Charlie took several of us out for a really great sail, out of Richmond YC, Saturday. Apparent wind ranged from 14 to 20 kts and we had a great three hour sail (no, not a 3 hour tour...).
The predicted drizzle arrived as we were putting the boat away.

All in all, a marvelous four-day weekend for us out-of-towners!
:egrin:

Cheers,
Loren
:cheers:

Last edited:

Tazman

Member I
Boat show and Oakland Yacht Club

We spent the night on our boat Wednesday and attended the boat show on Thursday. We allowed out 12 year old son to miss school to attend the show. What a great day but as always we were pleasantly reassured that we already own the perfert boat, an E 32. Despite the fact that a mechanic is replacing our 22 year old transmission as I type. (A whole story in itself.)

We are members of the Oakland Yacht Club and are very proud of the dinners that they (we) provide. We have never been disapointed with the quality or quantity of the food. And the prices, can't beat anywhere in the bay area. I hope that you enjoyed the experiance. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Best wishes
:devil:

Status
Not open for further replies.