• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Rusty drips from the rigging

Siltbird

Member I
I came down to my boat the day after a 3 hour sail to find rusty water stains on my deck at the shrouds and backstay. Further inspection revealed that it also ran down the topping lift, and my roller furling jib seemed to keep it at the top of the forestay. All the stains around the shrouds were splashes, so I'm guessing it fell directly from my spreaders. This all happened at the same time about 2 weeks ago, and it hasn't happened since. Also, we haven't had rain here in LA for quite a while, so that's not it. Has anyone seen this before? Is something up there failing?

I don't want to sound like an alarmist, but you probably should get yourself a bosun's chair and go to the top of the mast and check it out. You'll never know for sure if you don't go up.

Just my $.02

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Yeah, I would get out the harness and go on up also.

But...you never know...you might have just had a friend up there on the spreaders who injested a big plate of berries or something...

I often see reddish or blue colored stains - bird poop - on my deck - especially when the berries are in season....;)

//sse

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
One other thing...

If you're going aloft, and there is any chance of rig failure, I would have someone lift you up (don't do it alone), and tell them to be ready to bring you back down -fast- if you need to (like if you hear cracking, unusual groaning, etc from the rig).

//sse

Siltbird

Member I
Thanks, I think that's going to be my Sunday project. The only thing is that I'm not totally sure what to look for, but I guess I'll start at the spreaders and work my way up. When I first got the boat, my rigger told me he didn't see anything alarming, but it was original and a new rig should be on the to do list. It might be time.