• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Sticky Transmission

GMaurer

Member II
The transmission (original Hurth) on my 1988 E28 acts up on occasion. It's always easily possible to put it into reverse, but sometimes hangs up when trying to engage forward. When this happens, the solution is to go back to reverse, and then into forward (always shifting at idle RPM's). Also, the transmission oil was changed last winter, and the level is OK.
I have disconnected the transmission linkage, and it moves freely in both directions.
Is this a common problem to be lived with?
Am I looking at a transmission rebuild?
Any other solutions?
Thanks

jwolfgra

Member II
In one of my Diesel Maint bookds (perhaps Calders), they indicate that Hurth's are very sensitive to appropriate linkage settings. Based on my understanding of how these transmissions work, it sure sounds like a linkage problem.

GMaurer

Member II
Do you have anything specific on what constitutes appropriate linkage settings?
I see from my manual the the mounting angle is limited, but nothing else with regards to the linkage.

escapade

Inactive Member
Had the same problem with my 1980 30+. Pulled the gearbox and sent it to Marysville Marine (Hurth service agent). They could not get replacement parts so I had to replace entire trans. (about $1500.00 & I removed and replaced it). Technician @ Marysville told me that you need to change the trans fluid EVERY YEAR!!!Being that it takes 1/2 qt. of fluid a pretty cheap insurance. It eventually get's really bad. We actually backed into another boat in the marina cause it wouldn't shift out of reverse. Not fun. Good luck. Bud