• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

SoCal Ericson Surveyor Needed

duncan59

Fellow Ericson lovers,
I live in Southern California (santa Barbara) and I am in the middle of a purchase of a 1976 Ericson 29 :egrin: from Longbeach, CA, and I urgently need a surveyor who understands this kind of boat and vintage, who will know what to look for (eg, rotten balsa-core decks etc.) I need the survey for slip and insurance as well as peace of mind.
Does anyone know of such a surveyor in this area?
I am pretty conviced that the boat has been very well maintained, but even so, with a boat of this vintage, I will need a list of things that are beginning to show stress, so that I can start working on them and getting parts etc., for the coming months and years.

Thank you for any help with finding a good surveyor in this area!
Cheers
Duncan

Last edited:

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Hi Duncan -

You're probably wondering what happened to your post, eh? I just moved it here to the SoCal forum - there's no need to cross-post (as owners typically look across all forums when reviewing new posts).

We have lots of owners in SoCal, so I'm sure someone can suggest a good surveyor...

Good luck with that and the purchase of your boat! Let us know how it's going, etc...

Happy Holidays! :xmas_sant

//sse

duncan59

Thanks Sean!

I am sure I will hear from the SoCal folks, as you say I will. I will let you know how the sale goes! Meanwhile, here's a pic attached of my new love.

Attachments

• E29.JPG
    E29.JPG
    111 KB · Views: 210
Last edited:

Glyn Judson

Looking for a SoCal surveyor.

Matt, Congratulations on the pending purchase of what looks to be a very lovely 1973 E29. There's a surveyor up here in Marina del Rey who might be persuaded to drive the short hike down the road to Long Beach. He's a nice older geneltman who's been surveying boats since about three years after the invention of salt water. I've used him a couple of times and was satisfied with the result. His name is Clark Barthal and can be reached at 310.823.3350. You might end up talking to his lovely wife Mata who books all his appointments. Say, will the local authorities ever find the body of the guy you had to kill in order to get a slip in Santa Barbara? Good luck, Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55 Marina del Rey, CA

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Good looking boat! :egrin:

I love the Bruce she carries - when I got O Barquinho, she came with two - and I had zero experience with them. Now, I prefer a Bruce hook over all others...set it and forget it (well, not really forget it - but get a better nights sleep!)... :D

Good luck with the survey and purchase!

//sse

HGSail

Member III
Duncan

The Prefered surveyor in Ventura area is Eva Hollman. A little on the high side of the pay scale, But I've seen survey's the size of a novel on boats as small as a Columbia 20. She is very through. I don't know if she will go down there or not though.
Hope to see you out at the Islands sometime.

Pat
E29
'73
Holy Guacamole

Last edited:

duncan59

Keep the SoCal surveyors coming!

Thanks Glyn and Pat, I will form a short list and try to communicate with all the people recommended. As I am in England for the Hols, I was wondering if you happened to have either website or email information for these good folks? It sure would help me out as I have to have her surveyed and moved by Jan 27 and I wont be back in S.B. until the 7th, and you know, the long distance thing and having to work M-F and get insurance and a slip lined up in all that time puts a bit of stress on the deal.
Thanks again for your help.
Duncan

Sam Vickery

Member III
Duncan,

I used Ron Grant (949) 240-8353 a few years ago. Great guy. A little on the O.C.D. side. Which is a VERY GOOD thing in the survey business. He traveled from Dana Point to Long Beach three times to compete the job. (difficulty with the broker) Very reasonable on price as well.

Congratulations on the boat. She looks wonderful.

Sam
E 32
'86

HGSail

Member III
Duncan,

The surveyor that I mentioned Eva Hollman has a has a web site that you can get ahold of her at boardlady.com and her email is eva@boardlady.com.

Again I have seen her work and it is very good, But I'm not sure if she will go down to L.B. or not (she works out of Ventura county)

Pat
E29
'73
Holy Guacamole

Last edited:

SingPilot

I have personally used two of the mentioned surveyors and both were good.

I saw an ad in the last three weeks advertising slips for rent in Santa Barbara. One was 45', the others were smaller. I'll see if I can find it.