Happy Holidays!

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
:egrin: From Skipper Jeff & The Pride of Cucamonga.

Thanks for all the support and help in restoring my boat over the last four years. I like to think I have made some good friends here even though we have never meet face to face.

Jeff:egrin:

Attachments

• XMasCard2006.jpg
    XMasCard2006.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 70
  • XMasCard20062.jpg
    XMasCard20062.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 63

MarkA

Please Contact Admin.
Rigging Tips

Ain't Photoshop wonderful?

By the way, your new lighted forestay and backstay could use some tensioning. They look cool, but I would be concerned in these small craft advisories we've been having.

:egrin:

MarkA

Please Contact Admin.
Soon, I hope!

It's been two weeks since I paid out the nose for a new hunk of cloth for the bow, and I only used it the day the sailmaker rep bent it on and we took a test drive. Since then, the crew (family) has been too busy with school, work and shopping to sail. :mad:

Since I don't (yet) have an auto pilot, and my main is a bear to hoist, reef and douse, I need someone to steer into the wind for a few minutes. Otherwise, I would have been out single-handing this weekend in the good blows.

If I'm crewless again, wanna go play in the rough stuff?

-mark

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Sure, I would be up to fowling my fowlies!

Sure, I would be up to fowling my fowlies but it will have to be after the Holidays. Regarding "Small Craft Advisories", just what constitutes a Small Craft? In other words, how small is a Small Craft? I've often wondered. Are we talking anything less than a Ship of say a 100 feet of more?

Any way, I would love to crew with you on your E-34. I crewed with Kevlar Pirate on his E-46 once. All I could say was WOW! What a boat!

Cheers, Jeff:egrin:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
AFAIK:
"Small Craft" = 65 feet and under.

Loren

Last edited:

MarkA

Please Contact Admin.
Small Craft

According to NOAA, there is no legal definition of "small craft."

However, I thought it was generally regarded as 33 feet and under.

60 feet seems way too big to require a warning for 25-knot winds. Hell, I worked on a 65-foot stinkpot in which the daily conditions on deck were 35-knots-plus, and seas of 15-25. I've been in 80-100 knot winds and 50+ foot seas on that same boat (it was three days before we could go on deck). The latter condition deserved a warning.

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Another Maritime Mystery Solved.

Thanks Loren, Another Maritime Mystery Solved. I guess I am now guilty of being a Small Craft during many advisories.

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
I have heard small craft defined as 26' on one occasion and 30' on another--does anyone really know? I have never heard the 33' mentioned in the post above, and can't really believe 65' either.
I know I have sailed boats in the 20 - 34' range during small craft warnings weather, and the boats just seemed to be coming into their own at approximate hull speed and great sailing!:D
Frank.

MarkA

Please Contact Admin.
Dunno

About a month ago, I was curious and looked it up. The best explanation I found said 33 feet or under, and I was suprised it was so big. Now I can't find my source.

Googling today, I saw a reference to 65 feet which I think is nuts.

I think NOAA leaves it undefined for a reason. There are some tiny craft I would trust in heavy seas, and many large ones that I would fear on a flat lake.

I'm amazed by some of the top-heavy stink pots in the harbor. Recently, I was talking to the owner of a 65-foot boat that required more than a month to deliver from Seattle to Southern California last summer. And, I can see why --in anything over 10 knots, or four-foot seas on the beam, I would fear it capsizing. In that, I would heed the "small craft" advisories.

Small Craft?

Hi, I got curious and looked up the question, and the Wikpedia lists a small craft as undefined by the weather service , but defined by the Coast Guard as 33 feet. - Chris

HGSail

Member III
I have found 30+ winds when crossing to the Channel Islands not to be a problem in my 29 using my ST4000t. Now I have not been out in 40kts and I don't think I will anytime soon but 25-30kts is ok. The people that go with me I don't call crew because they know little if nothing about sailing, So I am single handling it even when someone is aboard with me. This is my life.

Pat
E29
'73
Holy Guacamole

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Pat,
30 plus knots of wind sounds like quite alot of wind for an E29. What sail configuration do you use in those conditions--ie. double reef, storm jib? other?
Thanks,
Frank.